1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are NASCAR announcers required to mention "Sunoco fuel"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Shows you how much I pay attention to sponsors. I couldn't get the name of the company right.

Which emphasizes the ridiculousness of it all.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They don't do it because they hate money.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Jeff Gordon was the primary offender.
    It got to the point where he and Hendrick got called not just to the NASCAR trailer, but Bill France personally told them to report to the NASCAR offices in Daytona. He told them if they didn't show up, not to bother bringing their car to the track the following week.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I never even knew how to pronounce Sunoco, since they don't have stations where I live. I always thought it was "Sunnaco," but instead it's "Sun-NO-co."

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Bubbler is right. MRN broadcasts are outstanding, but the promotion sometimes is annoying.

This thread subject is so ironic. I started thinking the exact same thing during pits a couple of years back.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Please, do tell. In what way is this thread title ironic?

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I was wondering that as well.
    I remember the hot water Fox got into back in 2001 by having some sponsor names in focus and others blurred out. On a similar note, I believe race names (at least in the past) had similar issues. For example, the race at Michigan might be the Miller 400 but if Miller didn't pay whatever network was televising, the race would be called the Michigan 400 or the Michigan 400 presented by some other company. I don't know if that's still the case or not.
    And speaking of promotions on a radio broadcast, try listening to an IndyCar race on the radio feed. "Gee, look who just happened to stop by our broadcast booth! It's Al Speyer from Firestone. Great to see you Al! Sure looks like those Firestone Firehawks are holding up great!" Happens every race.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That's been going on with race names since Fox started broadcasting. Yesterday's race was the Good Sam RV Insurance 500. Might have been mentioned twice. AP never mentions the name either, even referring to it as 'the Sprint Cup stop at Pocono Raceway' Sunday.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Gatorade is a Pepsi product, just to clarify.

I've always wondered why the fuel sponsor has been a regional company. There are no Sunoco stations anywhere near here and although 76 is now part of ConocoPhillips, the closest 76 stations I know of are in Denver.

And it seems like Fox will call each race by the sponsors name but ESPN will call it "Nationwide Series at Michigan" or "Sprint Cup at Kansas", which bugs me because I've never heard anyone say "The Bowl Game at Charlotte."

10. sctvman

sctvman New Member

Also, the Servicemaster Clean Caution, with the Servicemaster Clean Trucks. PRN is the worst offender of this. They very frequently have in-race interviews, sometimes more than one a race. You get the promoter from one of PRN's tracks, or some B-list country music star.

The only tracks that PRN does are tracks that Bruton Smith owns. Bruton made his own network a few years ago The rest of the tracks are MRN. Both networks do a great job at covering the races, but their networks have dropped a lot in the last few years because of all the anciliary stuff that the stations are required to carry.

Ned Jarrett commentaries every morning. Eli Gold's talk show on Tuesday nights. PRN's talk show on Mondays. NASCAR Today, along with several other programs.

Ten years ago, almost every FM country station in the Carolinas had the races. Now, only a few do.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I hope that this isn't a spoiler for anyone, but the Land Rover is really the villain.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Props for raising the level of discourse by actually knowing what you're talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted