1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are NASCAR announcers required to mention "Sunoco fuel"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Aug 7, 2011.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I just wondered if they have it just so engrained into them that they just say it...or if they get "bonus pay" for every mention.

When will Wilson footballs and Nike or Reebok start offering cash to announcers in NFL games to make product mentions?

I can't wait for: "That Rawlings baseball goes deep into the left-field stands..."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

NASCAR's done this shit for ... since NASCAR first started.

You hear about Goodyear tires every five laps, and making it to Sears Roebuck Victory Lane every time they talk about the cars crossing the Wal-Mart Finish Line sponsored by Burger King.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Oh, I know...but is it mandatory by NASCAR for FOX or ESPN announcers to use the sponsorships? Seems cheesy and forced.

4. aloc102aloc102

aloc102aloc102 New Member

of course, baseball and football have as many (paid) plugs as joe biden, particularly home broadcasts.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And even before the race, where they don't win the pole, but the Busch pole.

6. Baron Scicluna

Of course it is. But they don't care. They just care about getting the plugs in for the checks.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sponsors pay to hear their name uttered on the broadcasts, be splashed all over the track and be part of the required logos on the cars.

If you're going to be a sponsor whore at least NASCAR shows how to be a good one.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Listen to a NASCAR race on the radio sometime. They pull in the marketing directors of these companies as in-race guests.

"Zeus wounds! Its the marketing hack from Goody's Headache Powder! The wait is finally over to hear his fabulous insights!"

9. If Walmart is being sponsored by Burger King so it can put its name on a finish line, times are tougher than I ever imagined.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It's all part of the paid TV contract no different than the commercials that run.

I remember there being a big flap several years back right when Fox came on board, I believe, where in their pre-race graphics, the Photoshopped out the sponsors on the car that didn't pay the broadcaster extra. NASCAR had to do a tap dance in a hurry to smooth that one over.

11. Baron Scicluna

There was also the flap a few years back when, I think it was Pepsi, would put an inflatable bottle on the winning car in victory lane, and drivers who had different sponsors would knock the bottle off when they got out of the cars.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A.) It's Sunoco RACING fuel.
    B.) It's the Coors Light Pole. Or, if it's someone younger than 21, the Coors 21 means 21 Pole.
    C.) Baron, that was the Gatorade/Powerade flap. Gatorade got on the car because it's Gatorade Victory Lane. Either Pepsi or Coke is Powerade, so those drivers would knock off the Gatorade display.

Draft saved Draft deleted