1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are movies better now?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The 'anti-hero' has been around an awfully long time, DW, in movies and lit and television.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Certainly. But in the villain role? We've had flawed protagonists well before "The Sopranos" or "Mad Men" or "Breaking Bad." Think: Michael Corleone. But I think antagonists are much more fully realized today.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think you're drawing water for your arguments from a very, very, very small pool if you're only going back to 1970.

You want a morally complex movie with a morally compromised protagonist/antagonist? Try "Greed," 1924. Or "The Third Man," 1949. Or "La Dolce Vita," 1960.

4. Dick Whitman

I haven't seen any of those. I will, though, as I'm trying to expand my cinematic knowledge.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should see The Third Man as soon as possible then.

6. Dick Whitman

It streams on Netflix, I see. I will watch it in the next day or two and let you guys know what I think. Looking forward to it.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Also, if you don't mind watching online ...

http://www.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=853&format=movie&theme=guide

Draft saved Draft deleted