1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Mitch Albom, Mike Lupica and writers of their ilk...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by earlyentry, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And I don't so much mind spelling words the wong way on a messige bored 'cuz I dew it offen.

2. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Songbird, what's your beef? I'm not HEAR too jaudge.

3. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

I guess it's to be expected. This is a sports journalists site. I guess you're not too busy reporting on anything where you live, right?

4. Songbird

No beif with your spelling, which is why I wrote that back-to-back post. I was quoting your quote.

Still many folks here upset about the Albom deal with writing a column ahead of time (read: Final 4) — meaning he made something up before it happened — and didn't get much of a punishment. I actually like watching him on Sports Reporters, but if that's something I did (read: make something up as fact before an event happened), I'd never work in the biz again. I've made a few errors along the way, but never that.

And I love jaudging. Good form of exxirsize :D

5. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

Why did you quote "makes stuff up."

When I read Albom's column today on usssportspages, a poster immediately calls out Mitch for not checking his facts - in this case, how Maybin was called up not from a Pa. hotel, like Albom reports in his first paragraph, but on the road from his team bus. Who knows if the poster had HIS facts straight, and decided instead to simply spew an insult at Albom. Happens all the time, I guess.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I will refrain, for now, on my perspective on The Dwarf and Loopy, there writing and they're place in sports as opposed to fiction writing and my stance is well-documented hear.
    I will say however, after watching The Sports Reporters today, I can't wait to hear what Loopy's voice is finally going to sound like once he squeaks through puberty.

And APPgrad, I'll go one better. You'd also be better off reading the other columnists at the paper -- although in the Freep's case, I fully mean Mike Rosenberg as opposed to the other guy who rarely lives up to his name.

7. Songbird

EE, your sentence was easy to mess around with in quote-function.

As for today's column ... that's an interesting tidbit. I don't know the answer as to who's in the right/wrong. It's worth exploring.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I hate sticking up for the Dwarf, but his first graf does not say he was asleep in his hotel room when he found out.
    It says two nights earlier, he was sleeping in a hotel room sharing his room with a teammate.
    The column is never clear how he found out, but the Detroit News' Tom Gage and AP writer Mike Fitzpatrick made it very clear Maybin found out while he was on the bus.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read both as often as possible when I was in college back when both were still relevant... Lupica deservedly takes a beating on this board for countless reasons, but his early stuff is brilliant... His book "Shooting from the Lip" is great...

The same holds true for Albom. His "Live Albom" books are also great and are at least a decade old...

If I had to tell a J-school student which columnists to read today from a writing standpoint, it would probably be Plaschke and Posnanski.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've never really liked albom's stuff. but my ol' buddy lupica was without peer in the '80s/early '90s. the last 12-15 years he's put a stamp on it.

11. Why is Lupica so hated?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think, in part, because he comes across in person as a tight-assed big-timer.

Draft saved Draft deleted