1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are minor league baseball players exploited?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, May 14, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Do you really think that minor league salaries are why the minor leagues attract highly skilled players?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Someone quoted that these guys can make a maximum rate of $3,000 a month (Single A).

That's a pretty good amount for most of those towns.

Overall the life doesn't appear to be all that different from what, say, a graduate student might be living.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No. I didn't suggest anything remotely like that.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's remarkable that that's being touted as a "pretty good" living wage.

And it's in-season only. Are you going to provide them with a salary for the other four? Remembering, of course, that if they aren't seriously working out in those off-months and arriving to training camp in playing condition, they won't be pulling in that huge monthly salary for long.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They can do that themselves. Are you going to fill in the gaps for every graduate student in the nation?

It's a field that has the longest of odds to begin with. It's the life they've chosen. I think every kid who is even thinking about that road should read this article, but my guess is most of them would sign up knowing full well what's ahead of them.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Probably a lot more people than you think. Professional baseball players aren't anywhere near as common as math tutors.

Pitcher from Microville Tech was on NCAA title team, topped out at double-A, and now teaches private lessons in the PDX area. He works out of a private club, charges something like $60-80 per hour, and has to turn kids away.

I didn't think Hayhurst (whose books I enjoy very much) was asking for the moon, or that anyone feel sorry for the minor leaguers. I think his point was a multi-billion dollar industry could probably pony up another $500 or $1,000 a month for the prospects who are their future players.

PS: Another excellent book dealing with minor-league life is Matt McCarthy's story about a year with the Provo Angels in the Pioneer League, "Odd Man Out."

Draft saved Draft deleted