1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are minor league baseball players exploited?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, May 14, 2014.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Dirk Hayhurst wrote up a good column for Bleacher Report (I know, ugh) about the conditions of minor league ballplayers. They aren't good.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2062307-an-inside-look-into-the-harsh-conditions-of-minor-league-baseball

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hey, they can quit if they don't like it.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

THEY'RE GETTING A FREE .... Uh, never mind.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a good story, but it does leave out a significant point: the amount of bonus money many of these players get, which is supposed to help them fill in the gaps during their time in the minors. The slot value for the 200th pick of the draft (mid-seventh round) is $200,000. Even the last pick of the 10th round is slotted at $137,000. The international pool is different, but any serious prospect is getting six figures, in a place where most people don't see that in a lifetime.

Now, if you're a 25th-round pick or an undrafted free agent, you're not getting anything close to that. But at that point it becomes a matter of knowing the odds. A player who is not picked in the top 10 rounds has nothing more than a ghost of a chance of making it. So if you want to go for it, you have to be aware of that.

I coach youth baseball with a guy who pitched four years of Division I college and had a somewhat successful season in rookie ball. Certainly it was a dream he could have extended for a few years. But he said he looked at his manager, who was a career minor leaguer riding buses all night long and never seeing his kids, and knew he didn't want to go through that for the sliver of a chance he'd get to the show.

--But: The one thing that surprises me is that teams wouldn't devote more time and money to nutrition via the clubhouse spread. I would think that would benefit them a whole lot in the long run.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, but sportswriters are.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When you're 17 and striking out 18 batters in a small-school prep game, you think you will be pitching at Petco Park someday. You don't grasp the fact that on that same day, 27 other guys around the country are striking out 18 batters in a top-level prep game.

Like any other major sport, the players are driven by an unrealistic view of their chances.

They still shouldn't be living on ramen noodles. Hayhurst makes very cogent points.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

How is this any different than a band trying to make it? Either you're good enough or you're not. And until you find out, you have to go through the pains of paying your dues. I'm not about to cry a river for either.

8. Paying your dues means shut up and eat your PB&J.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In a sense Hayhurst was exploiting minor league players by
    writing a book about them.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Turning pro definitely cost them a baseball scholarship.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless they already played in college. Plus, not too many of them receive full rides.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Your garage band probably doesn't play 140 dates with an average audience of 4,000 fans, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted