1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are holidays out of control?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree about Halloween. Here in Boston it's become only slightly smaller and shorter than the Christmas season, with some folks putting up outdoor decorations shortly after Labor Day. I love Christmas, but my favorite holidays are the simpler, less aggressive ones. Fourth of July: Have cookout, watch fireworks. Thanksgiving: Have big turkey dinner. Watch football.

2. joe

joe Active Member

I wore my *lucky* four-leaf clover boxers on St. Patrick's Day. Pregnant wife said they weren't that lucky after all.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Right. And there's nothing wrong with either approach.

St. Patrick's Day to me is the dumbest holiday known to man, where everyone joyfully mimics the worst stereotype of an entire ethnicity as "tribute."

But, Irish people don't seem to care, so why should I? Certainly, no one should feel PRESSURED to do or not do any of this "celebrating."

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I can't believe that (allegedly) militantly non-secular public schools really make a big deal about Easter, because at some point you kinda have to explain what the holiday is supposed to be about.

I'd figure they'd just call it "bunny day" or "spring celebration" or something.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

As long as it can't be construed as "promoting" religion, they can mark the holiday any way they want. That's a lot of leeway.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My gripe is when the holidays run into eachother, like putting out Christmas displays before Halloween or putting out Passover food displays before Purim.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For people without kids, do whatever the fuck you want...

If you have kids, make it fun... I know "overdoing it" is in the eyes of the beholder, but don't act like the holidays are a chore. I've heard more than my share of young kids making comments like, "I can't wait until Christmas is over." and you know they're just parroting what their parents say.

For Christmas, we do the advent calendar, elf on a shelf and almost every room in a pretty big house is decorated. We have three big trees and multiple smaller ones. We've met neighbors when they came to the door and said, "Such and such in my son's class said your house is just incredible, is there some way I could see it?"

My wife gets the bulk of the credit for that. But I enjoy it and I decorate the yard and am excited to carry multiple trees downstairs so my wife can decorate the place. The result is my kids go nuts for Christmas and I don't see any downside to that.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like Christmas again after having kids. It's a ton of fun to see them (well, only the oldest right now) get excited. He's still humming Christmas songs months later.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still bothers me that the ham is green, too.

It's green EGGS and ham. Not green eggs and green ham.

("They're all chickens. The rooster has sex with all of them.")

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's perv-oise!

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hated it as a kid. As soon as my parents got divorced it became the day where we would go from one parent's to the other and my dad has never met a party or celebration that he couldn't ruin. It makes me a little more determined to make sure the time of year is as fun for my kids as possible.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Green meat seems like something you'd want to avoid.

Draft saved Draft deleted