1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are guarantees newsworthy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NCScrub, Dec 6, 2007.

1. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Just asking after the latest one from Pittsburgh. I guess people like to talk about them, but did the average fan even know who this Smith character was before Wednesday. Even after some prep games a kid on the losing team will make guarantees for the next week, and I'll almost always write about something else and leave that out.

2. Sure, they're newsworthy -- when Joe Namath guaranteed a win against the Colts in Super Bowl III. Ever since, not so much.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Guarantees, not so much.
    "I guarantee we will win. Otherwise, I quit the team/transfer/etc." -- absolutely.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes. if even only to be mocked. :eek: ;D ::)

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think since Namath, and more so Messier after him, everyone decided it was the thing to do, meaning any guarantee, unless they're accompanied by a siginificant action as MU pointed out, is pretty insignificant nowadays.

6. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

They're mostly an attention-getting device. The idiot spouting the guarantee is counting on some idiot with a notebook (or microphone) to make a big deal of it. Sad to say, he's not often disappointed. One of the more notable guarantees since Namath: Jimmy Johnson guaranteed the Cowboys would win the '93 NFC title game against the Niners -- and, of course, they did.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We were talking about that in here today. Unless not making good on the guarantee has consequences, they have zero meaning, except to fill notebooks.

This Steelers' guarantee isn't really one anyway. "If we execute, if we come to play, we'll win."

Electrifying.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

My experience is that writers and print guys are always trying to goad players into these silly guarantees, then go into a tizzy when they find somebody to bite.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Case-by-case basis. Someone on the Dolphins guarantees a win over the Patriots? Of course its something your reader will be interested in (and amused by).

Draft saved Draft deleted