1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are friends/family shocked at your salary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope you took the job. :D

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

No kidding, Mizzou. That's twice what I make in a different industry ... and to relate it back to newspapers, I'd have to take a $20K pay cut to sign as an entry-level reporter with either of the dailies where I live.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I left the newspaper business five years ago at close to its pay ceiling. My salary has gone up almost 50 percent in the five years since.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

MTM, you have a number for that home-building guy?

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yeah and tell them you don't get raises but regular pay cuts and they'll hold a vigil for you rather than think you have a great job.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My former reporter was shocked when I told him what my salary was when he'd just gotten a PR gig.

When people find out how little I made, they are surprised. Of course, it's a lot more than I'm making right now.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My family was rather stunned over Easter dinner last Sunday when I told them I had a furlough coming up.
    My niece asked what that was. My wife jumped in with "He doesn't work for a week and he doesn't get paid."

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Since my parents were both working two jobs until my dad started getting social security (and my mom still is), they're actually jealous of me.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Was talking to a close friend who is in pharmaceuticals two weeks ago. I was telling him that my mother, who was laid off in January, was claiming more in unemployment than I was earning at my job. "If I would have known that I would have told you to run away a long time ago," he said.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

As America's favorite sportswriter, Ray Baron, once said, "I don't make a lot of money. I write about people who do."

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

My mom was blown away when I told her what I was making when I was in the business. She could not believe that someone with a degree in a "skilled field" could be paid so little.

She is even more shocked that I make roughly 30 percent more in my current job.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I try to hang out with field reporters from the local TV stations. Their salaries make me feel wealthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted