1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are college graduates that unprepared?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is true. As a working journalist, the emphasis is more on gathering information through research, interviews, etc., than the actual writing itself.

Someone once asked me about the process of writing a story. I told them the real work was gathering the information. Once I had all of that, I could bang out the story fairly quickly (a true necessity with newspaper deadlines).

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I believe the problem is that people don't read as much anymore.

I personally learned how to write by reading just about anything I could find growing up. I loved getting my Sports Illustrated each week and immediately skipped to the back to read the primary feature. I couldn't get enough.

Now, 35 years later, I consider myself an average writer but I am head and shoulders above some of the student-athletes I work with. Their idea of writing a blog is four short paragraphs. . . maybe six sentences. . . while I enjoy writing several pages on a subject.

Texting has also killed proper grammar. My niece is an honors student and several years ago, a challenged her to not pick up the bad habits that come with texting. (u instead of you, etc.).

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I will admit that I don't read as much as I should, even news stuff.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's why when I do text, I ALWAYS spell out every word and even use punctuation.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Awards don't mean you can write. Just mean you may have had good copy editors. :D

Not saying you didn't earn the ranking though.

6. Matt Stephens

Spshhhhh, poor writing? This is as elegant as we get (my first semester at the paper after transferring from Arkansas):

[​IMG]

I wasn't an editor back then, but it sure gave me a glimpse of things to come down the road.

http://americaswatchtower.com/2007/09/23/the-rocky-mountain-collegian-student-newspaper-runs-an-editorial-called-taser-thisfuck-bush/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know you can't spell Matt Stephens without M-E, but do you post anything that isn't in some way self-promotion?
    I'm not trying to pick a fight, but damn...

8. Matt Stephens

Sorry, I'm an extremely sarcastic person. I forget sometimes that this is a new audience that doesn't necessarily know / understand that yet (which is why I sometimes throw tons of exclamation points in posts to help stress that it's not serious).

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I agree with this sentiment. I knew people in college who couldn't write their names (sprinkle of sarcasm) but knew how to successfully operate on a gunshot wound or could tell you the economic inconsistencies facing the world market.

I always viewed writing as something of a niche profession, but in a good way. Not many people can write very well, or use words to convey meanings or tell stories. Hell, you could go through this entire message board and see the wordsmiths who traverse this website. But to the OP: Because one person or a few have trouble writing, don't blame them because it's been part of your life forever.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

WE CAN 2 RITE! U LVE US ALON UNTL WE NEED UR HELP

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that the keys to success are as follows:

1) Being pretty
    2) Having a rich daddy
    3) Knowing people (especially those with the ability to give you a government job)
    4,567,983) Writing ability

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Please explain.

Surgeons and economists aren't typical college graduates, and are probably in the 95th percentile in writing ability among college graduates.

Draft saved Draft deleted