1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are buyouts worth it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsed, Jun 20, 2008.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Then again, it might be exactly the same.

The place might just be trying to entice/scare people into taking the buyouts.

I was at a place once that had several buyout offers at various times within a relatively short span of time. On each occasion, the offer was exactly the same.

2. sportsed

sportsed Member

Word on the streets is that Wendell Barnhouse thought the buyout was lucrative enough because he applied for it today at the Star-Telegram.

Heard earlier rumors that he was talking with The Sporting News, but a source said he's gonna take a gig with the Big 12 Conference.

Can anyone confirm?

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I got that tune ringin' in my head for the rest of this desk shift, Steve.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

One of my good friends took a buy-out from his company (he was in mortgage and banking) -- but it was because they made him a ridiculously generous offer and basically told him (and many of his co-workers) they'd be stupid not to take it.

Other than that -- and this was about five years ago when companies still offered reasonable buy-outs - you are right -- I know of few people who take buy-outs unless they are at the end or headed out the door any way.

Draft saved Draft deleted