1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Asian-Americans the New Jews?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gary Rosen ‏@garyrosenWSJ

Are Asian-Americans the new Jews? Lee Siegel discusses the distinction and the burden of immigrant success. http://on.wSportsJournalists.com/S2exoR via @WSJ

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

"Arigato .... racist."

http://www.hulu.com/watch/415468

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a very good story. That's the biggest reason we will probably always live in the Bay Area -- the comfort our kids feel in being half-Asian. Our UC schools have had a damn tough time with this admissions question and have had to overhaul the whole thing to a system that is mostly based on class rank. It's interesting, a lot of people feel like you don't want to be in TOO good (i.e. too Asian) of a school because then it's going to be a lot tougher to get the top 9 percent designation that guarantees a spot in the UC schools.

I don't know about the discrimination aspect. Just don't feel like it's any factor at all out here. I think there's some resentment about what the hyper-motivated Asian parents have done to some of the schools as far as making it so much tougher and with more pressure on all kids. But I don't think that's discrimination, I think that's a legitimate question about melding cultures.

Side note: I am going to show this story to my wife because as long as I've known her, she has never been able to figure out how Jews get a bum rap for being cheap while her Chinese culture goes completely unnoticed for it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Interesting how any time there's a political discussion about immigration, the talk seems to focus on hispanics and not Asians.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not for me. I still hate Jews more.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Maybe because it's much easier for hispanics to get into our country? It's a long raft ride from Asia, you know.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

we don't care, if we did we wouldn't allow you Internet access. We control the world, but you knew that

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You're all too cheap and greedy to give up the $50 I pay for high speed internet, but you knew that too.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

;D

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

we'll get your 50$$. One way or another. We always have. You do know that before FICA changed his name it was Irving Bernstein.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Interesting piece. I'm highly skeptical of any charges that the Ivies discriminate against Asian folks, though. They don't nor should they admit kids strictly on the basis ofntest scores. They try to create a community that is well-rounded and intellectually stimulating. Lots of factors beyond test scores come into play. Anecdotally, I see no shortage of Asian kids when I visit Yale these days.

As an aside, my daughter has had dinner a couple of times at the home of Amy Chua (aka Tiger Mom), who is a law professor at Yale, and reports that she is a wonderful and loving person. Chua's niece is also my daughter's roommate this year and one of her closest friends.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Being a parent of Asian-born kids, this kinda hits home. I hope it's not harder for my son to get into college because he happened to be born in a country he won't have lived in since he was walking.

Draft saved Draft deleted