1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Americans hostile toward knowledge?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 16, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm there for you, Pall.

Lets go listen to some Night Ranger and drive cross-country to Seattle.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I would likely drive off a bridge somewhere around Iowa if I had to listen to Night Ranger on such a journey.

But don't worry, YOU can still rock in America.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

:'(

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, pallister, if your definition of "intellectual" is what you wrote above, then it's understandable that you consider the term an epithet.

Of course, your definition isn't correct, but don't let that stop you from embracing an irrational dislike for people who think that thinking about things is a worthwhile endeavor in and of itself.

Just don't be surprised when someone points out that just such attitudes are a huge part of the dumbing down of our country. Intelligence and intellectualism or intellectual curiosity aren't the same thing, and don't really have much, either, to do with what people do for a living or whether they are trained in any specific academy. So, in large part, you and I agree.

But instead of embracing ugly stereotypes, let's just define the terms more precisely. People I know are intellectually curious about baseball, about woodworking, about politics, about pop culture, about cooking, about history. The subject matter isn't so much the point as is the pursuit. And the pursuit is important only so much as it differs from consumption. And that's really the difference.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm consuming a biography about Townes Van Zandt; I'll get back to you when I'm done.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

See, there you go. Try not to drool too much on the pages, and we'll all expect a full deconstruction later in the evening.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

What's it called and who wrote it? Townes is in my pantheon of greats.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

"To Live's To Fly: The Ballad of the Late, Great Townes Van Zandt," by John Kruth

Next up is Gram Parsons' bio by Ben Fong-Torres.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'll have to check it out. I'm almost hesitant to, since I have a suspicion that Townes was a tool in real life. There's a lot of lurking misogynist drunk asshole in his lyrics. But I'll always be grateful for his songs, which are genius.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

When I was in high school in the late 90s, one history teacher included a U.S. map on the midterm exam and each state was worth half a point. If you got any wrong, you had to the map over and over and over again after school until you got it right. He called it "The Rand McNally Club,"

11. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

A European-born journalist working in the United States recently asked if Ireland is a country, so ignorance is a world-wide phenomenom that apparently has no bounds.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/15/AR2008021502901.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

The Washington Post has something from Jacoby in the Sunday Outlook section.

Draft saved Draft deleted