1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are American kids spoiled?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 29, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I was responding to Mark's post, above mine.

And without having finished the Kolbert, I would suggest it's a sophisticated variation on that tried and true theme.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No writer has ever convinced a publisher to buy or an editor to print a book or article with the theme "American Parents Trying Hard to Do Their Best, and Most Kids OK as a Result." No commercial potential.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"Mom, can I have a Popsicle?"

"What? You think children in other cultures get to enjoy cool treats when it's hot out? No, you can't have a Popsicle, Mr. I Think I'm So Special. And while you're at it, get a job!"

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

There are so many times I'm thisclose to actually saying this to my kids. :)

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Socrates (469–399 B.C.)

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People keep saying this, but the story isn't about American kids today compared to American kids yesterday. It's about American kids compared to kids in other places in the world.

Is that not fair to compare? What is anthropology but this?

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Socrates was not speaking of American kids of yesterday.

His quote is merely a long-standing example that distain of youth by elders is fairly universal. That universal condemnation of the condition of the youth seems to cross time and geography.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to nail down the point of the article. Isn't it more a condemnation of parents than youth?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the article was comparing apples to oranges and trying to oranges sucked because they weren't as good as apples.

Comparing an upper middle class family to a tribe family in the Amazon is inherently silly. Or this passage:

Wow, so life in the 21st century might be a little different than medieval Europe? The hell you say! Besides the longer life spans and the completely different set of generational expectations, what might be different besides most everything.

If you were to compare children from the same socio-economic conditions, you'd get similar situations.

Children from upper middle class families here versus there would come out the same in the wash.

11. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Third world countries get room temperature Mr. Freeze pops.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's Poland. They enjoy them after spring training for hockey.

Draft saved Draft deleted