1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all topics equal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by echan00, Mar 23, 2011.

1. echan00

echan00 Guest

I have a question for you guys...

What kind of topics will make a sports journalist jump at? What's the best way to approach them? And how should I contact them?

I've been working on a sports game app and have had trouble getting journalists/bloggers/writers to respond. I spend time interacting with them on twitter about teams, players, etc.. (i'm a sports fan myself(, but they just don't seem to be interested even though their blog content/audience fits perfect with my application.

Can any of you help me out here with some suggestions? Kind of bummed here :-\

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Write up a release, telling us briefly what your product is about, how it works, how much it costs, etc...1 in 4 of us will read it through...out of that group 1 in 10 may do a short write-up. Don't expect big headlines and photo spreads...you can also get on the sports page by taking out an ad for your product.

3. echan00

echan00 Guest

Thanks for your advice flexmaster33

Taking out an ad is probably difficult, my app is free and i don't make a dime.

Are releases the way to go? I presume I should still make them sound personal (which i've been doing and failing at)?
    I have a list of emails I could send to, I just don't like the idea of mass spamming. Or do I really have no choice since the conversion sounds like 1 out of 40?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The app has to be good. I haven't too many game apps that are good. Most are awful.

What makes your app so special to need an article? While that sounds harsh, that's what editors are thinking.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

All things being equal, a local angle is the biggest selling point.

If you can find one -- or many -- that's your best chance. Not many media organizations have sports guys writing about games or apps.

6. echan00

echan00 Guest

Thanks for the suggestions Ace and Stitch.

Would it qualify if I say something like 'Even Mark Cuban found his way into our beta and told us it was well done' (true story btw) Would that make a good snag/pitch line?

When you say local angle, do you mean something like directing the press release to and for Boston journalists because that's where we're based? (Or to Celtics/Bruins fans?) So it seems more relate-able?

Really appreciate your help everyone. This stuff is definitely not in my comfort zone.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You want a story on an app? Go spam some tech bloggers.

8. echan00

echan00 Guest

My audience are sports fans though. Or are sports journalists not that interested in writing about new sports app?

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It could be both. What the end game? Do you have a company that will release additional apps? Why is your app better than 95 percent of the apps that are crap?

I don't imagine the Boston papers putting an app story into the sports section. It's a business story.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You could try Boston. If you are from somewhere else and are the designer, maybe you could sell it to your hometown paper.

If the app has some tie to a team(s) or sport, you could go that route.

(If it's a game app about dog sled racing, you could try Anchorage. If it's a game app about surfing, you could try Honolulu).

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How many new sports apps are released each week? 50? 100?

Big whoop.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Keep in mind editors get dozens of press releases every day, most of which go straight in the trash can after a quick skim. Find a way to make a release or e-mail stand out.

Draft saved Draft deleted