1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are 3D televisions a fad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Where the 3d TV experience is going to take off is in watching sports. A guy I work with got one during the last Soccer world cup, and PVRd the Bronze medal and gold medal games. While all the kinks weren't yet worked out in maximizing the 3d angles (they were two of the first 3d games ever shot/shown) the potential was there for it to be amazing, and when they hit it right it was pretty awesome. And I'm not at all a soccer fan. The action doesn't pop out at you, but more drops back and down giving you the third dimension. It is the closest thing to like being at the game as I've experienced watching on TV.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Did you walk out because it was awful or because of the 3D shit?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I can't see 3D, so unless its standard, I won't waste my money.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Because the 3D was giving me a headache.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Golf is fantastic in 3D. Cox had a 3D viewing party during the 2009 Masters at a couple places around the state, so I checked it out. You really got an idea of how hilly things were and the ungulation of the greens.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Gaming and sports will drive 3D. Legend of Zelda on the 3DS is awesome. And you don't need glasses.

When full-size TV gets there, it'll be awesome.

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

As long as they don't make it standard and mandatory, knock yourselves out. HD is plenty good enough for me. But I'm 48. Youngsters weaned on 3-D at the theaters may have a different take about what they expect from a TV when they get to be my age. By then, I'll still be watching my crap TV and telling them to get off my global-warming devastated patch of death dirt.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't see HD. So I kind of wish everything would stop advancing!

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The Lion King was actually the first 3D movie that didn't give me a massive headache. I haven't seen many, though, because I can't justify spending $13 on a movie ticket that often (and I have a thing with snakes jumping out at me from the screen. I'm looking at you, HP7.1) but TLK is my favorite Disney movie.

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I've seen one 3D movie: Avatar. The 3D coolness factor wore off halfway through, at which point I realized that it had been distracting me from the fact that I thought the movie sucked. Down, down, downhill from there.

Only good thing was no headache. From the 3D.

11. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

As an owner of an HDTV, I'm just pissed that networks are spending money on 3D as this juncture.

Complete the switchover to HD before moving on to the next thing. A lot of college basketball games aren't even in HD yet. Local news, the second of the three local networks just switched to HD. And none of them have the proper technology to really make HD look half decent.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the last 3D movie I sat through was Jaws 3.

Draft saved Draft deleted