1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are 3D televisions a fad?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I've seen them and tried them, and I'm not sure I get it on the whole. TVs, and even glasses, are expensive, and while I'm sure they'll come down in price as they get more popular, I don't see this picking up enough steam to become the norm. Then again, I said that about cell phones, too.

Not to mention I work in an industry that could be finished by the end of the decade.

Thoughts?

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I sure hope not. Watching things in 3D makes me sick to my stomach.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure they've even reached the level of fad.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Same here. I got queasy (sp?) watching the Lion King 3D last week.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Me three. I had to watch most of Avatar with the glasses off.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I tend to get more of a headache watching it than a sick stomach.
    They are really cool, but I also have to think the production expense has to be a road bump for networks to go widespread with broadcasts. I have no clue as to how much more it costs in terms of equipment, etc., but I'm sure its pretty big.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

From what I know of it, 3D tv will not be going away. Instead, the technology will get better and you'll be able to watch it without glasses.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Me too. Guy I know bought one and said it's absolutely awesome. Don't know him well enough to go check it out.
    I'm legally blind in one eye, so the whole 3D experience doesn't quite come through. So I sure hope it doesn't become the norm.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This. I walked out of Avatar after 30 minutes and haven't seen a 3D film since.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

3D is wasted on me. Near sighted in one eye, far sighted in the other.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

It's a total fad.

What I hate is when movies are advertised/shown in 3D but they weren't shot in pure 3D. That is a total waste, although the Harold/Kumar Christmas movie coming out is in 3D.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I watched Green Lantern (yeah, I know) in 3D but there were scenes that didn't look 3D. However, I have poor depth perception and wasn't sure if that has something to do with it. Like is almost 2D to me anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted