1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ARCTIC BLAST 2007 — Live team coverage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jan 12, 2007.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Blame it on El Nino. Spanish for the Nino.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Seen some real nasty icestorms in Texas.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Texas gets some really nasty ice storms. I'll take snow, thanks.

And it's 12 degrees here and falling. Yee Haw!

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

The wind chill in the city where I work tonight was MINUS 26.

In California, 50 miles from the Pacific.

:eek:

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If you convert that to Celsius, it comes out at "TOTAL BULLSHIT"

7. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I'm no weatherman. It was damn cold, though.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

At the moment, I'm concerned about the amount of rain we're getting. In and of itself it's not that big a deal, but it's supposed to keep raining until Sunday night when everything is supposed to freeze.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'm not doubting your wind chill -- I'm just saying, when it gets that cold, it's total bullshit. Nothing good can come of it. Also, Mother Nature's a pussycat.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

70k homes in Springfield MO are without power.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Just called my sister in Springfield, she says she and everyone she knows are without power except for a friends parents about an hour out of town. Her apartment is currently 55 degrees and falling. I imagine pipes will begin freezing tonight if they can't restore the power that has been out since 8:30 last night.

They're headed to the local bridal show for warmth and then a movie if nothing is back up.

I went to school in Springfield and anytime we lost power it was back within a couple of hours. I'm surprised they haven't gotten it back up yet.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A friend of mine is a TV reporter in Springfield. She's covering the "power is out" angle for her station. Local electric company said they expect to get some power back on today, but it'll likely be out again later tonight when the second (or is it third?) wave of freezing rain hits.

Off-the-record guesstimate? It might be Friday before everybody is back online.

Draft saved Draft deleted