1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ARCTIC BLAST 2007 — Live team coverage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jan 12, 2007.

1. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

We've had nothing but a very light dusting of snow all year, but they're saying Sunday (durning the Bears game) will bring the next supposed Storm of the Century. We'll see.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

F_B, your thread title made me laugh, because it sounded just like what I know your local b'casters are calling it. I honestly cannot stand the weather folk up there.

Mi padre called earlier to report in on the nastiness. I'm reminded of a particularly nasty ice storm we had a few years ago... there's a tree in dad's back yard (a massive cedar) that's missing it's eastward half because of it. The weight of the storm sheared off half the tree.

Anyhow, good luck and be safe. It's still warm here, though it's raining. Supposed to get cold over the weekend. Too bad the Texans don't know how to drive in weather the slightest bit inclement.

3. hackcrack

hackcrack Member

What's always entertaining is how these on-location TV dipshits are supplmenting studio reports of treacherous conditions only to have cars whizzing by at near-normal speed behind them and hear the reporter stumble around with "just a minute ago I saw someone who appeared to be skidding on that overpass" (cars continue to navigate it without a single brake light visible) and finally, when he/she realizes how stupid she is, says "if you have to get out now, just drive safely."

I swear to God, there is a partnership between these people, the grocers who advertise to create panic-buying. Half the time, what they say never materializes.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The hail started within the last hour. Freezing rain and snow predicted for my corner of BFE over the next two days. Schools are already panicking and changing/canceling game schedules.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I say this without a hint of wise-ass, but Evansville seems to be becoming the Venice of the Midwest -- and not in a good way.

Seems like its been hit by major flooding in each of the last several years. I was in Evansville two years ago during the peak of the Ohio River flooding and it was biblical down by the Henderson bridge, the Ohio was a freaking lake.

6. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

This thread reminded me of Brian Fantana's break-in ... PANDA WATCH!!!!!

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Just remember, Bubs ... next time you have to come to town, holler and I'll row the gondola out to the airport to pick you up.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

NOAA is claiming rain for us all weekend, but I can't really fathom this band of ice hitting the length of the midwest and not hitting us in our little corner of the mid-south almost due east of the storm. A slight chance for ice and snow on Monday, but then clear the rest of the week. I don't buy it.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

73 and sunny here.

I did have a problem with ice here yesterday, though. Forgot about a bottle of Coke I left in the freezer. Took forever for that damn thing to thaw.

In all seriousness, there is no funnier scene than southerners dealing with winter weather. They forecast an inch or better of snow here two years ago, and immediately, schools were closed the for the following day and you couldn't find milk or bread for 100 miles.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We got a little freezing rain here in SE Iowa. Of course, it happens while I'm out this morning.

Not sure who pissed me off more _ the woman who, to avoid rear-ending someone, decided to swerve into my oncoming lane, or the dumbass who was tailgating me and talking on his cell phone.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Every Okie with an Internet connection must be on Weather.com right now, because I can't get it to load.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's a difference between snow and ice storms, though, when it comes to the ability of the masses to handle it.

Yes, northerners are good snow drivers.

But you put an inch of ice on the ground, and all of a sudden, it's Amateur Night at the local driving academy. And I don't give two shits where you are. Ice trumps everyone this side of Ryan Sonner.

Draft saved Draft deleted