1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arcade Fire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Eagles1 in London, Aug 9, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Youtube them. They were on SNL when Dwight from The Office hosted. They seemed very good. I would see them if I had a chance, and I would of course do it if the ticket was free.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Jay, I just downloaded it. It rocks - the only disappointment is no "Backseat," which to me is like a Pixies show without "Gigantic."

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

my wife and i saw them a few months back, and it was a good show. they bring a large band on stage -- lots of horns, lots violins, lots of sound and lots of energy. however, with just two albums, they don't have many songs to play. you'll hear the tunes from those albums.

4. thanks for this--been listening to this show all morning--really enjoying it

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

One of the best live bands I've ever seen. I, personally, prefer "Funeral" over "Neon Bible" but that might be just because I've heard it a lot more. "Rebellion", "Wake Up" and "Keep the Car Running" are probably my three favorite tracks. Download them now. They're a great band.

6. what can i say here that hasn't already been said about one of the greatest bands around right now, the esteemed arcade fire? i've been fortunate enough to see them twice, once in 05 (when wolf parade opened for them, wish i would have known about WP at the time!!!!!) and once in may during their three-night residency at the chicago theater. both times i got tickets, the show was sold out about a minute after i bought them, so i still count my blessings that i was able to see them.

eagle, make sure to watch this video:

no cars go, off their EP. arguably their best song. although they are all awesome.

i've seen a lot of concerts in my young life so far (thankfully more good than bad), and i can't think of a show that matched the utter emotional intensity like seeing the arcade fire live. there are times during certain songs where you are rocking out so hard, but your heart feels like it's bleeding. for example, at the end of neighborhood 1, when win sings "SPREAD THE ASHES OF THOSE COLORS ALL OVER THIS HEART OF MINE!" and then the band breaks down into the rockin' ending, there are few bands who can bring that to the table. or how about the ending to in the backseat? so beautiful, so awesome. and when you go, be prepared to rock out, and have everyone in the crowd rocking out as well. after i saw them in may, i was hoarse for a couple days from singing along. and i'm more than certain there were a lot of other people in the same situation as me.

the arcade fire is a live experience that cannot be matched. do not accept imitations or substitutions.

and if you really want your mind blown, watch this version of rebellion.

i don't think i've ever heard it played that fast before. incredible.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I am listening to Arcade Fire right now on my Pandora.

They are playing at ACL, but I'll be unable to attend. I'm already ready for them to get back in the studio at this point.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

The new single, Keep the Car Running, is quite solid.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm about halfway through the NPR link, and I wanted to like it...but I just don't get it. Seems like every song is like 10 minutes of weirdness.

10. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

You're 10 minutes of weirdness. 8)

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm 31 1/2 years of weirdness, doll.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but this single has been out for like at least six months. No Cars Go would be the current single.

Draft saved Draft deleted