1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arab Football writers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by paruh, Feb 10, 2010.

1. paruh

paruh New Member

I am looking for a Sports writer good in English and Arabic. salary is 100%tax free and benefits also. please send your profiles to paruh@cec.ae
  2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll be the kind one... can you tell us more about what you're looking for, what the job entails, what the pay range is and a l-i-t-t-l-e more specifics than a job description that could range from the best job ever to indentured servitude?
  3. spud

spud Member

Goddammit, I knew taking that Kazakh class over Arabic in college was a bad idea.
  4. Looks like this is it...

It's listed under the job seekers tab...position in Abu Dahbi. Man, to be fresh out of college again. But I only speak enough Arabic to get me shot.
  5. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

From the Web site...

Location Abu Dhabi
    Salary 23k+Ticket,Health Insurance,Schooling and Furniture Allowance (Annual Benefits)
    Our Client a reputed Government Media Company based in UAE that owns and operates a range of television channels, a network of radio stations as well as number of publications and a number of other media related businesses is currently looking for a Sports Writer reporting to the PR Director

Job Responsibilities:

To work on and off-diary, attend a variety of events, keep abreast of news sources and be aware of the competition from rival media organizations.
    To demonstrate strong writing skills, interview techniques both by telephone and face-to-face and communication skills with colleagues and contacts.
    To establish and maintain an up-to-date contacts book, priorities daily tasks and ensure relevant entries are made in the Sports desk diary.
    To maintain standards of story-gathering, quality of copy and necessary volume, particularly with regard to providing stories that are clean, concise and to length.
    To work with photographers on assignments and suggest graphics or material from the photographic library to illustrate stories.
    To pursue follow-up ideas and other angles to stories, particularly being pro-active, creative and using initiative to come up with ideas and stories.
    To liaise with the Sports Desk, Picture Desk and sports media to ensure stories are developed and used to their best potential.
    To represent Our Client with all the sports channels and websites in an ambassadorial role, through building and maintaining internal and external professional contacts.
    The Sports Writer will be required to work some evenings and weekends as and when required.
    The Sports Writer may also be required to travel away from Our Client office to the other areas of the county, region of country, as determined by the Sports Desk.
    Contributing daily editorial content in the form of news articles, opinion blogs, feature pieces, match previews/reviews etc
    Coordinating content delivery with freelancers and other correspondents
    Monitoring the news wires and other media sources to come up with creative features relevant to Our Client brands.
    Meeting key performance indicators as set by the PR Director
    Working closely with PR team and Marketing to share and develop Sports content
    To generate story ideas, approach those connected with both sides of any story, and write an accurate, balanced & concise range of subjects and styles.
    To deliver an agreed minimum story count for the Marketing Department, to monitor performance and ensure Sports Desk copy deadlines are met..
    To develop contacts within the community to ensure effective local sport, photographic and feature coverage, spending as much time as possible looking for new story angles.
    To be organized and maintain an up-to-date diary and contacts book.

Ideal candidate must be a bilingual (English/Arabic) with 5 years experience in the same role with excellent Communication, Negotiation, Presentation, Customer Service and Leadership skills. The candidate should have good knowledge and interest in Football, Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby, Tennis, Golf and in all other sports as well, especially in English Premier League. The position will offer an experienced Sports journalist the opportunity to further his/her career by working as an integral member of one of the regions most ambitious PR ream. She/he should have Bachelor's degree or Diploma with strong computer skills (ability/ capacity to edit images, text and video and MOS)
  6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

Damn, everything but the Arabic.

Maybe Abu Dhabi is the place for media types to be instead of Dubai, what with The National taking hold and these folks (whoever they are) hiring.
  7. Just an FYI...Arabic is not that hard to learn. It's much easier than Spanich (and this isn't a mis-spelling).
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

آسف ، أنا فقط يتحدثون اللغة العربية.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

If you're fluent in Arabic, an undisclosed intelligence agency in northern Virginia may have an offer for you as well.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's easy for you to say.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I love this. Do you think they might have meant "reputable?"
  12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I had a lot of trouble with it. It's extremely hard if you're a visual learner, since none of the dialects are written languages in themselves. And I know plenty of native speakers who can't read script.
Draft saved Draft deleted