1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" causes terrorism panic in Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

touche.

The other question is, why wouldn't agencies in other cities give a call to Boston PD to mention they're PR. We got 'em too.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Terrorists' aim:

Set off bombs to terrorize populace and get headlines. People eventually will bow to your will.

Marketer's aim:

Place fake bombs to terrorize populace and get headlines. People eventually will watch your show.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm still not clear on what this marketing ploy was. I can't imagine they were hoping for this type of reaction, but if no one had even mentioned them in the other nine cities how great of a campaign was it? I just don't see the point of putting these things in hard to see places. Anyone have any idea what their aim was with these?

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

no but people are talking about it now, that's for damn sure. and while some in boston will be pissed enough not to watch, i bet ratings see a huge bump at least temporarily.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Right but was this there intention? I'm not trying to imply anything one way or the other. I just don't really get it and even with all of the talk about this "marketing ploy" it just hasn't been clear if they expected/wanted soemthing like this, and if not then what was the point?

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Did anybody catch the two suspects talking outside the court after their arraignment?
    What were they saying?

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

They were saying they'd prefer to discuss the evolution of male hairstyles.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm going to start working the term "infernal machine" into conversation at least twice a day.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

I'm really disappointed in Boston. I had high expectations for that city, considered visiting this summer, I'm going to pass now.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Once worked with a man who regularly on deadline called his work computer a "user vicious piece of shit." Yelled it. Often.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Update: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=2841646&page=1

Two dudes who are taking the fall were among four who created the idea. Their boss asked them to keep quiet via e-mail while it unfolded.

Draft saved Draft deleted