1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" causes terrorism panic in Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070131/ap_on_re_us/suspicious_devices_19

BOSTON - Nine blinking electronic devices planted at bridges and other spots in Boston threw a scare into the city Wednesday in what turned out to be a marketing campaign for a late-night cable cartoon. At least one of the devices depicts a character giving the finger.

Highways, bridges and a section of the Charles River were shut down and bomb squads were sent in before authorities declared the devices were harmless.

"It's a hoax — and it's not funny," said Gov. Deval Patrick.

Turner Broadcasting, parent company of Cartoon Network, said the devices were part of a promotion for the TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

"The packages in question are magnetic lights that pose no danger," Turner said in a statement. It said the devices have been in place for two to three weeks in 10 cities: Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Austin, Texas, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

[​IMG]

2. statrat

statrat Member

Apparently Boston is a little high strung today. My favorite part:
    "An angry Mayor Thomas Menino said a stiff penalty will be pursued against whoever was responsible for the devices.

"It's about keeping a city on edge. It's about public safety," he said."

How dare they market their show! Send them to Gitmo!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If Aqua Teen Hunger Force can't be marketed, the terrorists have won.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Meteors did it!

5. statrat

statrat Member

I'm guessing all of this was a ploy by Shake to get Meatwad run over by a truck...

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've warmed to the show in recent weeks, though I admit I don't understand the entire premise of it. Meatwad has a chance to become a fantastic cult character (if he isn't already considered one.)

7. statrat

statrat Member

Oh he already is, cuz he gets the honeys see...[que ATF theme song]

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That show is a riot, more so in Boston than elsewhere.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So does this mean that folks in Boston are more aware and cautious than those others cities or are they just plain dumb.

Don't get the show ... at all. Looks like a commercial gone bad.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The Mooninites (SP?) are terrorists. Damn them.
    Favorite episodes
    Drunk Frat Alien "They call me Donkey Puncherella"
    Bart Oats, where they had Bart Oates voice Bart Oates
    Any of the ones with the Mooninites.
    And the most depressing was when Frylock got sick from cancer.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Proof that AP writer Ken Maguire is either a stoner and/or a fan.
    From the article...

12. statrat

statrat Member

I love how pictures of cartoon characters flipping the bird are now blanketing all the major news sites. Although I may Love this cutline even more. "Two characters in the cartoon named Ignignokt and Err are "mooninites" — trouble-making characters that look like 1980s-era computer graphics. They are represented on the devices making a hand gesture they often use." Did they not get the fact it is an extended middle finger? Hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted