1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE writing results announced

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lynn_Hoppes, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

No one's mentioned this yet?

PROJECT REPORTING
    1. Jeff Welsch, Bozeman (Mont.) Daily Chronicle
    2. Konrad Marshall, Post-Star (Glens Falls, N.Y.)
    3. Bob Heist, Jackson (Tenn.) Sun
    4. Dave Albee, Carla Bova, John Dugan, Rick Polito, James Raia, Dave Allen, Marin (Calif.) Independent Journal
    5. Nathan Joyce, Eric Williams and Chuck Sharp, Kitsap (Wash.) Sun
    Honorable Mention
    Sheila G. Miller, Herald News, (West Paterson, N.J.); Dave D'Onofrio, Concord (N.H.) Monitor; Michael Petre, Tommy Keeler Jr., Ryan Sonner, Matt Stamyre, Northern Virginia Daily (Strasburg, Va.); Kellis Robinett, Idaho State Journal; Rob Schultz, Madison (Wis.) Capital Times

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Astonishingly few women on that list.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ryan Sonner's soon-to-be ex boss for as long as Ryan Sonner lets him stay is here too...

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I was happy with my honorable mention.

Made a long day a little better.

5. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Wow, your mom still asks you about money? More importantly, she still invites you back for Passover? Are we long lost siblings? not a day goes by my ma doesn't ask those things this time of year.

6. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

A couple of comments.

Palm Beach Post did very well this year. And that wasn't even Carlos Frias best work. His best writing for 2006 was his series on traveling to Cuba to meet relatives he had never met. Fascinating stuff that ran 1A for a week solid. Written in both Spanish and English, FYI.

And second, lack of women on the list? Is there, like, a quota dude (or dudette)? Best stuff wins. Period. This is business, not a leftist, let's-make-everybody-feel-good type of contest. Half expect Whitlock to chime in now on the lack of blacks on the list (if that's indeed the case. I wouldn't know or care).

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'll take the 100-250 top 5 columnists over the big-boy top 5 and have zero problem whatsoever.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Since the writer's name is not known, how can any judge know it's a woman's entry?

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

They need to post links of winner's stories so we CAN debate, argue and discuss the best writing. Plaschke writes many great columns, but which one was deemed his best of 2006?

I think the voters messed up. Where's Mitch Albom? Mitch? Where are you? I love you.

10. the fop

the fop Member

Responding to the top part only: I believe Frias won for his Jeff Reardon piece, which was gutwrenching. Knew it was a winner the moment it ran.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Yeah, whose hole did he birdie to get on that list?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why do you hate america?

of course, the freep has had the same column on the front page of its website for two weeks....

Draft saved Draft deleted