1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE winner: Haven't I read this before?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hack, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Hack

Hack New Member

2. Re: APSE winner: Havent' I read this before?

Were the judges supposed to scour the previous year's winners to make sure no subject material overlapped?

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Re: APSE winner: Havent' I read this before?

damn! wish i would have thought of that.

4. Hack

Hack New Member

The only real new stuff is at the bottom. And its ELECTROSHOCK THERAPY! How do you not lead with that when you are just regurgitating a previous story?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This confirms it.

Awards are frauds.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Waylon:

Shouldn't consistency be important when a major organization is giving out awards, especially in such a subjective field? I think each year's judges should educate themselves on what type of stories have won in previous years, absolutely. Helps establish a precedent, instead of just having things dictated each year by whoever happens to show up to judge that particular time.

This type of thing lends ammo to those who scoff at the importance and diligence of the APSE awards and their judges.

7. Re: APSE winner: Havent' I read this before?

But what does the Twin Cities market care if a Reardon story was already done in Palm Beach, Fla.?

8. Hack

Hack New Member

That's fine for the local readers. But how can you reward that with an APSE?

9. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Not that impressed with some of the winners. Won't nitpick, but if those are the best of the best no wonder the injury is dying. Good stories, not GREAT.

A Reardon wins consecutive years? Awards are frauds.

10. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

What's discouraging is these judges' lack of self-awareness. They're completely oblivious to the fact that they tend to award genres as much as stories these days. The Reardon type of story is very popular these days -- family hardship, blah, blah, blah. Here's another: The estranged/absent parent. Stories revolving around that won the feature award in the big paper category two years running -- for the same newspaper. More and more, stories about sports are becoming passe . . . to these APSE juries, anyway. It's all about Touchy and Feely.
    Well, feel this.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As Hack said, that has nothing to do with the APSEs. Every newspaper can do a Reardon story if they so choose. Doesn't mean the same organization should reward the same exact subject matter in consecutive years.

12. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

couldn't agree more

this is why i stopped entering several years ago

if you write the greatest story in the history of the universe, but it's not about somebody who overcame cancer, lost a limb or dealt with the death or imprisonment of a family member or friend, you have very little shot

it's tiresome, and it's the very thing we all try to avoid -- cliche

i used to live and die by awards. now i don't give a damn, and i'm a better sports writer because of it

Draft saved Draft deleted