1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE VOTES NO TO CONTEST CHANGES (shocccckerrr!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Feb 29, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd vote the same way as you. But if I didn't, I wouldn't be volunteering myself for a public stoning.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

But I would not feel so all alone. Everybody must get stoned.

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

After reading some of the uplifting topics on the board the past few weeks, I might go get stoned for the first time in 16 years.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A young Frank_Ridgeway:

[​IMG]

(You can't see it here, but the shoes are sublime.)

5. Jim Jenks

Jim Jenks Member

I asked the APSE futures committee to look at this when I was president. As many of you do, I believe the over 250,000 category is way too small and should be opened up and the small-paper category be broken up. It was my hope that we would come up with four or five categories with equal numbers of participants.

Being in the larger class and not a consistent section winner, I took little joy when the honorable mention certificate arrived. You can guess where they ended up.

Now, conflict of interest argument aside, I did judge Sunday's over 250,000 this year and felt that there were six sections worthy of award and and maybe six more that I would say were truly "honorable mention." I do believe there is room for papers from the class below to jump in and perform well. I also heard from many of those sports editors who didn't feel they could compete. It was not hard to see why the vote went the way it did.

The number of papers competing over 250,000 is going to get smaller due to attrition over the next few years. No breaking news there. And the competition will become tougher for those in the 100-250.

Had I not resigned my vote, I would have cast my ballot for changing the rules, whether I was at the Inquirer or not.

Finally, in my opinion, the section judging has seen better days and I would like to see it go away. Stick with writing and add design if you feel you must. Those who know me have heard this before. And now that I don't have a vote, it really doesn't matter what I think. ;)

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm gonna throw this out there, but if you really want to change how the vote goes next time, make sure you vote for an under 40k SE for your region chair this summer.
    That'll definitley send a message to the powers that be.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Speaking as a former under 40 region chair, it's tough to do, just like you'll likely never see an under 40 person ever be APSE president.
    A region chair must attend the judging and the national convention or at least 1 of the 2.
    If you're from an under 40, no way does your paper have the funds to pay your way to both.
    Those trips are about a grand, including air fare, meals, lodging (and the $200 convention fee).
    I did it for a year and I'm still paying it off.
    I did it because I loved APSE and wanted to be involved, a few of the higher ups helped me through the years and I wanted to return the favor.
    I really enjoy the friendships I established through APSE, small and large paper folks, some excellent people.
    But unless you're born rich, and working at an under 40, forget it.

8. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

There is also the time commitment to consider. I was an under 40,000 region chair about 10 years ago. One of the primary responsibilities is putting the annual region meeting together (twice). That takes time and connections. Plus, it's not likely to be held in your city, which means you need to get the cooperation (as well as) facilties of the metro editor in whichever city you choose.

That being said, I'm glad I did it. I met many sports editors from big and small papers. It helped my career in many ways. But it did detract from the ol' day job.

Draft saved Draft deleted