1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE VOTES NO TO CONTEST CHANGES (shocccckerrr!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Feb 29, 2008.

1. I spoke to one judge who said he was embarrassed he had to give out most of the honorable mentions in his category, that they had to give out awards to entrants with typos and serious errors in their submissions just to fill the the requisite number of awards. How about this: Stop giving out so damn many awards and let the newspapers work on good journalism for its own sake, rather than angling for insipid awards. Give one award and one honorable mention in 250+ so it means something, instead of the in-group all giving each other a circle jerk, and sorry under 40s, you don't all deserve an award, no matter how many of you submit your dreck.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe we've just been flamed.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Sounds reasonable.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ah, the old "small newspapers suck" idiocy. I was wondering when that'll show up on the thread.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that's what he meant Inky. I think he meant they don't all deserve awards, which is true in ANY class.
    Of course, I could be wrong.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Actually, although his delivery needs some work, I'm not so sure I don't see some merit in his idea.

The industry is far too awards-crazy.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Man. Y'all are slippin'!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. patchs

patchs Active Member

Your last point is wrong.
    Last year, I looked up the circs of all the under 40 top 10s and HMs.
    Almost 80 percent were over 20,000.
    Under 20 deserves its own class.
    Then 20-45
    Then 45-100
    Then 100-200
    Then 200 and over
    You have 5 classes instead of 4 but it should even the number of entries out and make the contest more fair.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I think everyone would agree on the need for five divisions, but APSE has made it clear that will never, ever, ever, ever, EVER happen. So, we need to work within the four-division framework.

As an aside, I think APSE should consider doing the preliminary writing judging off-site. Send the various categories to a contest catcher who spearheads a judging committee put together at their discretion. Have them pare down the entries which will allow the on-site judging to give more scrutiny to those entries in front of them.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Fifth division is a deal killer.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think everybody should get a plaque and a ribbon. Because, you know, nobody should be made to feel like they're anything less than a winner. [/overbearingyouthsportsparentwhichthisisbeginningtosoundlike]

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, I think 10 divisions. Why not?

There were no divisions when they started the contest. And the biggest papers didn't always win. Kind of like "Hoosiers." [/ is barbara hershey still hot? oh ... i see she turned 60 a month ago.]

Draft saved Draft deleted