1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE VOTES NO TO CONTEST CHANGES (shocccckerrr!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Feb 29, 2008.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I understand the reason for this thread, but it's severely redundant to the other. We've already discussed this stuff there.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I know your diatribe isn't about awards. I didn't say it was.

My diatribe is about the unhealthy obsession some people in this business have for awards. My publisher and CEO crow about awards as if that should be the primary motivating factor in doing our jobs. Personally, it'd be nice to win one or two, if only to have something tangible to point to about my tenure at the paper.

But running stories that make a difference in the lives of my readers is more rewarding to me. Knowing I'm putting out the best paper I can in spite of getting criminally fewer resources than the 5K weekly in our group gets is rewarding enough. Looking at where the paper was before I got there and seeing where it is now is rewarding enough.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To paraphrase former Olympic weightlifter and pro wrestler Ken Patera: Awards look great, but they make for a lousy meal.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Which is why Patera threw a rock through the McDonald's window when they wouldn't let him in.

And how are things on the isle of Malta, Baron?

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

This made me laugh and cry at the same time.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I can only wonder how APSE would respond if a bunch of those under-40 papers suddenly sent e-mails letting them know membership will not be renewed until the contest changes. I bet changes would occur quickly since the under-40 group makes up almost half the membership.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because of what Bubbler said or that it came from Bubbler?

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

what was the proposal that got voted down?

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

When I was involved in APSE, I tried very hard to get this idea passed and it didn't go too far.
    I was encouraged that it was taken seriously this year.
    All I wanted was a level playing field, going up against sections with the close to the same resources as me.
    As a 12,000 circ, daily with me, one other FTer, 2 PTers and some freelancers, I knew I had no chance against a paper that was 30,000 with 5 or more FTers.
    The one year we took a HM for our Sunday section was the highlight of my career.
    My opinions of awards are that they are validation from your peers. For all those parents and coaches we deal with, it is nice to win an award and know the people that know your job, believe you are good at it.
    I would be curious to see who voted and how.
    As for a massive small paper membership drop, I admit, it may be a good way to get the message across.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

To change the circulation categories in judging.

Current:
    Under 40,000 (202 papers entered this year)
    40,000-100,000 (109 entered)
    100,000-250,000 (65 entered)
    Over 250,000 (34 entered)

Proposal defeated:
    Under 25,000 (122 eligible)
    25,000-60,000 (137 eligible)
    60,000-175,000 (92 eligible)
    Over 175,000. (58 eligible)

11. spankys

spankys Member

the annoying part is, more likely than not, several of those 6 view this site regularly, and more than likely read this thread.

please explain yourselves. please give one good reason, besides your own self interest, why you voted the way you did.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Will somebody please post the dead horse picture?

Enough, already!

Draft saved Draft deleted