1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE VOTES NO TO CONTEST CHANGES (shocccckerrr!)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Feb 29, 2008.

1. spankys

spankys Member

i felt like this deserved it's own thread here....this is complete horseshit, and all 6 people who voted against the changes should immediately resign their positions in APSE.

in the newsletter it says that if all the editors present had a vote, it would have passed overhwelmingly. well, why not give all the editors a vote?

oh that's right, because the editors of the big papers are soooo scared of having some extra competition and don't give two shits about the 205 under 40,000 papers.

i mean, there are SEVEN times as many entrants under 40 as over 250.....are you kidding me? big-paper editors, does it really make you feel good to know your section is better than 12 others? to put the little blurb in your paper the next day to tell your readers all about it?

the 6 of you should be ashamed. last year it was the same b.s ("this will be revisited next year") and it was revisited, this time in an even more fair way for the big papers, and it was shot down again.

pathetic.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Awards don't matter.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They probably matter more to the little guys, though.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

We'd all do much better if we stopped giving a shit about awards that do nothing but stroke our own egos or get mentioned in a resume.

Doing our jobs should be reward enough.

5. spankys

spankys Member

and to the 180k papers who were too scared to jump into the pile with the 30 or so in 250k, give me a break.

i worked at a 15k circ with 2 fulltimers and 1 parttimer and they put a paper out every day, and most of the time it wasn't half bad. your 180k staff is more than big enough to compete if you want it to.

6. spankys

spankys Member

you're absolutely right. but this isn't so much about the awards as it as a blatant and offensive disregard for even the slightest bit of sense and fairness by the large paper editors and their elitist buddies.

7. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Come on. Palm Beach needs to continue strutting its stuff after its eighth straight Triple Crown. What would it do without getting it every year?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

We'll all be under 40,000 some day.

9. spankys

spankys Member

exactly, how could i dare question such a thing. lol.

i appreciate garry howard admitting he was one of those who voted against it, i think it's only fair to know who the other 5 are, and I think they should either reply here or on the APSE board to offer their rationale.
    we're all paying our dues here, and we deserve an explanation for the asinine logic.

and thanks to jerry micco for trying.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Too bad Jenks lost his vote. He would have broken the tie.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They did step up in class one year before the streak began (as did St. Paul that year). My personal opinion is that they are better than most of the 250Ks -- it's a tremendous newspaper on so many levels.

My real bitch, though, is with the Seattles, Detroit News, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, etc. Come on. For years they competed against the big papers. And with Detroit, we are talking about a paper that once had a daily circulation of 600K and a Sunday of 800K. Is it really necessary for them to compete against papers that don't even have major pro sports?

Should note that Orlando could move down if it wanted to and didn't. Philly Daily News is about half of 250K and always competes in the top class. Everyone has the option to compete at the higher level.

12. spankys

spankys Member

the bottom line is all the major metros editors probably shit bricks when KC was the only triple crown winner, and realized that if 30 more papers joined their class next year there's a decent chance they'd---gasp---get shut out!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted