1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE summer convention in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

I'm in Pennsylvania but there's no shot in hell I'm going.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

That's is a big part of it. The APSE, as I understand it, does much of its deposit/planning well in advance and to just pick up stakes and take a pass on this year wouldn't have saved them any scratch. Might as well push forward.

There was a discussion afoot at this year's judging to put an end to the judging convention, but that couldn't be done for 2010 because the deposit/plans were already in place for Orlando. If not for that, I'm positive there wouldn't have been a judging convention next February. There was more than enough sentiment in the room to make it go away.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If there is a judging convention next February, it needs to be streamlined. At minimum, figure out a way to make it two nights instead of three or four. I'm sure APSE could negotiate with the hotel to get some flex.

4. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

They could also split up the judging. ... Put all of one circulation category in Philadelphia, another in Chicago, another in San Jose, etc.

Having more judges is a good thing.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

A bigger problem than the finances is this -- what exactly will they have to judge in 2010 seeing as by the second half of 2009, most papers will be reduced to AP clipping services.......

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's nothing short of disgraceful that they're even having this.

How any paper that has had to buy out, let go, furlough, make someone take a pay cut or even not staff something they would normally cover, could even consider sending someone is beyond me.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I don't know if I entirely agree with you on this. Theoretically, people go to this convention in order to better themselves. Attend the seminars. Learn something they didn't know.

Now, of course, I understand in reality it's a big opp to schmooze. But I can't know anyone who goes because there's a session they're motivated to attend.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been to several conventions and I learned a lot there. By no means am I saying they serve no purpose.

But right now, there are much, much, much more important ways to spend money. Money should be spent on stupid things like employee salaries and coverage.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've been to a few nationals, and learned quite a bit. I think they've helped me tremendously. And some of the contacts I've made there have helped with invaluable advice during tough times.

That said, I didn't even ask the ME if we had money in the budget for it this year. I'd consider paying my own way, but given the state of the business I'd rather keep that $1,000 in the bank in case I'm downsized.

I've suggested they stream some seminars on the 'Net. Charge $10 or so for a password so more people can take part. It got no response, which is odd considering Web seminars are a big focus. I mean, if you're doing a seminar on using the Web shouldn't you put it on the Web?

Draft saved Draft deleted