1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE summer convention in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Is anyone planning to attend? Given the state of the business, I'm afraid it might be 50 people or so .......

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've been to the last two, but both were driveable.

Don't think I'll make it this year.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Like last year, I feel that if your shop had layoffs or is likely to have layoffs in the coming months, as a sports editor you have no reason attending, IMO.

4. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

No chance. Our editor has gone in past years, but we're all wondering who on the staff will have jobs by the time the convention starts.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

shouldn't even have the event in the current climate.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

It's a relatively short drive for me, though I don't see the point in attending.

EDIT: What txsportsscribe said.

7. I would love to hear how anyone justifies attending. If you're paying your way, fine, although I'd suggest you might want to save your money. If your paper is paying, Not sure what I was thinking there.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I know they've invited any and all AWSM members to attend, but I still can't imagine they'll draw a big crowd. (Yeah, I've considered going -- not a bad drive downriver for me -- but I'm thinking they're way above my pay grade.)

Besides, isn't that the same weekend as the SJ trip to Baltimore? ;)

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

What are the deadlines for entry? At our shop they really don't tell us anything. If anyone knows the deadlines for New York Publishers, that would be great too.

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

The people I know that are going are paying their own way after winning APSE awards. I see no problem with that.

I'd have a problem if my boss went on the company dime in this job climate, especially considering that all event travel has been put on hold.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm not one of the APSE cynics -- in fact, I think the organization has benefited entire staffs of sports departments much more than some here do over the years -- but I must admit this would be a tough year for many to attend.

I kind of wondered after the editors canceled their Chicago event why APSE plunged ahead. I wonder if there would be a big financial hit if they pulled out, and they're better off trying to have it than not.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I was considering going to collect some hardware, but the furlough kind of took that option off the board.

Draft saved Draft deleted