1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Southwest Region contest winners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

More like two weeks ... so I have a hard time feeling bad about those that didn't enter because of a short turnaround. One, you've gotta know that the contest happens this time at every year under the same set of guidelines - get your stuff ready to send out. Two, even if it isn't ready, while it is a pain it doesn't take all that long if you make the time to get it done. If you don't, clearly, you either felt your shop didn't have a chance at winning anything or you simply don't care.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mule poo?

3. jps

jps Active Member

Sounds like a solid garage band

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

it's a great region. no one is questioning that.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ummmm, ...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Trust me ... for all intents and purposes it was one week.

For starters, the announcement moved on my wire the Sunday eight days before Memorial Day, and the original postmark deadline was Memorial Day itself, which was a legal holiday during which the mail doesn't run.

That meant you had to back up the mail date to the Saturday prior, because obviously the mail doesn't run on Sunday either. That's five workdays to get the stuff together, and good luck finding all the stuff from January-April 2007 because a lot of newspapers (including mine) had trashed those issues from the morgue. (That's why most contests have January submissions — to avoid this problem.)

That's also right in the middle of UIL state week in softball and regional finals week in baseball, not to mention postseason for college baseball. We pulled the lever and happened to hit triple 7's in that regard.

Not surprised a lot of folks missed out. As it turned out, they gave us a break by moving the deadline to the day after the holiday. That's the only reason why we were able to enter.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I never realized how much Austin dominated its division. Didn't they sweep first place in it?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're a helluva reporter.

9. jps

jps Active Member

yup.
    yep.
    yup.
    mmmhmm.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

It's too bad, though, that for its size and populus, it's not that great of a product. But it won some awards!

11. jps

jps Active Member

It's really not bad ... does a great job with UT and has some pretty solid columns. I'd say awards won are deserved, but it is worth noting that it has got to be one of the biggest if not the biggest paper in its category, so it should win.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The problem I always had with that paper is Austin hosts all the state high school championships, yet the Statesman does a horrific job covering them. It's not like high school sports is an ugly stepchild in the state.

Draft saved Draft deleted