1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Southwest Region contest winners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Any APSE award is huge on a resume.

2. jps

jps Active Member

He said it.
    And it's nice to get recognized every once in a while.

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

That's all well and good, but in the under 20K division there were like the same two winners for every category except one, which read "No entries." Absolutely nothing against the two guys that won everything in the category, but that's fucked up to basically be handed an APSE award just for entering.

4. jps

jps Active Member

And I've never been in charge of an undertaking such as this, but I've chatted with Erf and I think if anyone deserves a beer at this point ... it's him.
    Although the meetings are going on now, so figure he's probably gonna have that drink Friday night.

5. jps

jps Active Member

And I don't disagree. It's the same as the largest category in the APSE contest, really. (And the regional, for that matter.) Just how many papers that small that are APSE members are there in the region, I wonder? I really don't know. But to win in the middle category is legit, I'd say, with the huge circ grouping and all papers basically trying to knock off Austin.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I see. I was just informed that all of New Mexico is in SW APSE, though I'm guessing not many entered.

My old paper didn't enter and guidelines were sent out very late. Not a knock on the Erf, though, that guy hasn't had a day off in six months. Literally.

7. guttix

guttix New Member

I think it's really lame that people are saying winning one of these awards is lame because of the number of entries. First, you have no idea how many entries there were. Second, who the hell do you think you are? I guess the winners here should just hang their heads in shame for being undeservingly recognized ...

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, first off, my name is Angola! pleased to meet you.

Secondly, I don't think anyone is saying it is lame to win the award, just that it isn't as prestigous as past years because not as many papers entered.

And no, I don't know which papers entered and which didn't, but since neither Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Lubbock, Amarillo, Odessa, San Angelo, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Tyler, etc. won anything, it tells me it was watered down this year.

9. jps

jps Active Member

Or maybe they all just suck.
    ;)

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the region?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm told Fort Worth didn't enter the contest because the layoffs threw them for a loop, and San Antonio never enters the contest anyway. Those were the only other papers in the 175+ category, because Austin's circulation dropped below the threshold.

Also, a lot of people didn't enter because there was a very short turnaround time (like a week) between the contest announcement and the entry deadline.

12. jps

jps Active Member

the named papers, tom. the region itself is strong like mule!

Draft saved Draft deleted