1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Red Smith Award winners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, Jan 20, 2017.

1. The death of Edwin Pope (1989 recipient of the Red Smith Award) had me thinking about which writers may be due to receive the honor.

Recent recipients are:
    2015, Bob Ryan
    2014, Wendell Smith (posthumous)
    2013, Dan Jenkins
    2012, Frank Deford
    2011, Bill Millsaps
    2010, Mitch Albom
    2009, Vince Doria
    2008, W.C. Heinz
    2007, Van McKenzie

Many household names in the world of sports writing.

Rick Reilly? Joe Posnanski? Bill Plaschke? Peter King or the guys from PTI? Chris Mortensen or Tom Verducci?

In all likelihood, I feel like those writing regularly today are not as likely to receive the award, which is sort of a lifetime achievement prize.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Leigh Montville in 2016, right? I think anyway, I could be wrong

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Bill Plaschke? Rick Telander (taking into account his famed book, SI, Sun-Times). How about the hugely accomplished John Schulian?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

John would be a great winner.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Tom Verducci covers baseball for Sports Illustrated while collecting a paycheck from Major League Baseball. You could hold a dual ceremony in which Kellyanne Conway also receives the Pulitzer Prize.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got out of the sports biz at the end of 2016 after almost 20 years, took a job with my alma mater. Reported to a room at the student center for orientation my first week -- the APSE Hall of Fame room, which I had no idea existed on campus. Plaques for all the APSE presidents lined one wall, all the Red Smith Award recipients on another wall -- a whole lot of people that inspired me, and there I was, starting a new life outside of sports. Just struck me as funny.

7. Fran Curci

Verdict does a hell of a job.

Kayaugstin Kott likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

He covers a league and also takes a paycheck from it. Unacceptable.

9. Fran Curci

It's not ideal, but what about every person who works for ESPN? They certainly are paid indirectly by the leagues. Can you trust Michael Wilbon? Bob Ryan? Jason Stark?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't share Dick's opinion, but there is a significant difference between working for a rightsholder and working for the organization that sells said rights.

11. Dick Whitman

Maybe the New Yorker can hire Sean Spicer then. How is it different?

It's a travesty that Verducci draws an MLB paycheck. And it's a travesty of absolutely Biblical proportions that he's allowed to do so and Sports Illustrated does not note it in his pieces.

I have brought this up before: A couple years ago, he wrote a wet kiss about how MLB's drug-testing program is working swimmingly, and he savaged the testing programs in other sports, in particular the NFL, in doing so. In the pages of SI.

How the fuck is that permitted to happen?

12. Dick Whitman

What Gee said, Also, it's not really a secret that ESPN is a rights holder. When I read an ESPN piece on college basketball, football, the NFL, etc., I'm well aware that ESPN has a relationship with them. Wright Thompson is a fantastic writer, for example. But he's essentially positioned the same way that, say, Troy Aikman is. (Assuming Aikman is employed by Fox, not the NFL. I'm not sure how the relationship is set up.) ESPN is allowed to have content. It's not necessarily a conflict of interest, because it's transparent.

Sports Illustrated, on the other hand, has no rights relationship with MLB. Verducci is simply allowed to merrily write love letters, then turn around and work for the league. It's a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted