1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE president's message

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Philkaplan, Jun 17, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But no gingers. Have to draw a line somewhere.[/hixan]

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Simon, you are right. I am concerned with both longevity and diversity.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"Head in the sand pleasantries" is the perfect way to put it. The messenger is well-meaning, but the message means nothing.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wellll ... probably more so than some others not in the field at all.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Exactly.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yep. Bullshit move.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Everyone on this thread has been right to some degree.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You know, what's always gotten me is that nobody to my knowledge has EVER apologized for dragging politics into a thread where it was not wanted. They just think we WANT to buttonhole everything into D vs. R.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think that with the hammer coming down on political threads again, some are trying to find openings.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

YF, please read the above again. This is what most people here are agreeing with. The assertion that anyone on this thread is "rejecting" diversity is absurd.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Thirded.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was thinking when I made my first post, it reads chapter-and-verse from, oh, every Poynter study ever done on the subject. Poynter is so predictable on diversity/coverage of women's sports/when to change lightbulbs, it raises questions about their objectivity. Yet execs ooh and ahh over everything they say because .. they're a think tank!

I don't know Phil, I'm not a member of APSE and, outside of crossing paths with them here, have no interaction with members. I really hope this was something said just to please any publishers who might be there and some of the issues raised here will be addressed as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted