1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE president's message

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Philkaplan, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

This is the president's message in the APSE conference guide for Boston. Feedback encouraged.

http://apsportseditors.org/newsletter/presidents-message-apse-has-forged-ahead-despite-many-obstacles/

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Re: APSE president's messgae

It's encouraging that Phil is seeking feedback in this venue, because in the past a couple of former APSE presidents have told us it's none of our business how they run the contest unless we are card-carrying APSE members. I'm not going to ID the assholes or resurrect old arguments here, but I think Phil deserves some praise for showing signs of recognizing that APSE can't presume to speak for all of sports journalism and then retreat into a private club at the first sign we are bitching. Maybe I'm reading too much into this gesture today, but I hope not.

Otherwise, not much to offer feedback on, since his column is the obligatory conference opener and I'd probably say the same type of thing in that situation. I hope Phil will invite our feedback when his columns become more detailed on issues.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jack Berninger is a prince among men. I can't say much about the rest.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed ... but is diversity really the biggest problem we're facing today? Forgive me for speaking out of place, but, I (like a lot of others, I imagine) am in a spot where we're being asked to do more with less space and resources, management that doesn't seem to care unless it's a new app or we can put it online and/or spends money on anything but the newsroom, and it would be nice to get a wage one can live on in 2011 rather than 2008, and one of the largest bodies in our industy makes the key point of the opening address ... diversity? A good thing, but something I can't worry about unless there's a job to offer, and in case nobody's noticed, the trend seems to be the opposite.

5. Agreed. This is head in the sand pleasantries. Diversity might have been our biggest problem a decade ago. Now it's survival. Newsrooms are shrinking, not just sports departments. More teams and schools are producing their own news on their websites, bypassing the mainstream media which no longer has the resources to cover what they did as recently as 5-6 years ago.

Diversity in hiring? How about hiring in general? Or not downsizing? Sorry, Phil just completely whiffed on that one.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Second, seconded, and seconded. On our list of problems, diversity is way down the list.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I just love how liberal, white males can preach diversity for everyone else and then reject it for their own industry because it might hurt their own employment prospects.

Typical of the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude of many liberals.

So, what industries are healthy enough for diversity to be important? Who gets to decide?

Cops and teachers have been laid off all over the country, should diversity be rejected by schools & police forces too?

If diversity is important - and I believe it is -- then its importance is not determined by the health of individual industries.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No one's saying diversity isn't important. What's being said is that it's a silly issue to make the keynote when no one of any race is being hired and layoffs are affecting everyone of all races. You would presumably deal with the key issue in your keynote address. Diversity ain't it right now.

9. YankeeFan

So, drop it down just far enough on your list of priorities that you never get to it?

Because that's how it works. If it's not a priority, it will be ignored.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The police department and the school district where I live may lay off a few people from time to time. But they aren't in danger of going belly-up at some point soon. I can't say the same about my newspaper.

11. YankeeFan

OK, so newspapers should be exempt from making diversity a priority?

Who else should be exempt? Ford? GM? Who else?

Who decides?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

GM's keynote should be about competing/cooperating with Japan. Tho I suspect you're just lib trolling at this point and debating is silly

Draft saved Draft deleted