1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE looks at contest changes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Lynn Hoppes, the Executive Sports Editor at the Orlando Sentinel, says changes may be on the way for the annual Associated Press Sports Editors contest.

“As I move up from second vice president to first vice president, I will be given the task of looking at and revamping our yearly contest,” Hoppes says. “Brace yourselves, it’ll be a doozy.”

http://apse.dallasnews.com/2007/june2007/060307hoppes.html

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

My first thought: Our Monday-Saturday circulation is slightly under 20,000, our Sunday circulation is 21,000. So, if there's an under-20,000 circ category, and a 20,000-50,000 circ category, where does my newspaper fall?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm glad they're apparently not adding a fifth circulation class. Too much grade inflation as it is.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They go by daily circ., even in Sunday judging.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Bravo, finally.
    Give the little guy a fair shot.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There was talk of this during the recent contests, tweaking the circ categories.

7. taz

taz Member

Even moreso than breaking news, there should be allowances for including web content in the enterprise and event categories. We did a series last summer that had some great multimedia components, and elaborate online-only coverage of a local prep team winning a state title. The newspaper coverage was very good, but our online content took both to another level.

Maybe down the line, we could have some other online-specific categories, much like the E&P awards (broken down by categories, of course): Blogs, best overall web site, event coverage, special section, etc.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Remember, another aspect of online contest entries for APSE to consider is whether to take the entries of associate members like Yahoo, ESPN.com and SportsLine.

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I think it's a no-brainer. This is where the business is headed. Guidelines should be established and they should all be invited to join.

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Lynn, if you are reading this, one suggestion would be to tweak the rules so that columnists can not enter columns in the game story category. The Plaschkes and Posnanskis and Alboms and Calkins of the world have taken advantage of this loophole for years to be able to enter more columns and pile up awards.

I don't really have a problem with columnists entering the feature category. To me, a feature is a feature regardless of whether it has a mug shot on it. But a column written live off a game is not a game story. So the judges are being asked to judge apples against oranges, and I think it does a disservice to the beat hacks who have to write gamers under different constraints.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If there's a category where a columnist enters three columns to win an award, why not one for beat work in which the writer enters an advance, a gamer, a trend/enterprise piece and a breaking news item?
    Beat guys/gals are the lifeblood of the section, and the awards all but totally ignore them.

12. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

Another question for APSE is where chainwide-employed writers fit. There are more and more of us these days, between Morris News Service, Booth Newspapers, Gannett Louisiana, etc. Two years ago, I was told my work and my colleagues' work was ineligible for the contests in any circulation category going forward. That's unfortunate, considering many of us operate exactly like your college or pro beatwriter at every 50K-plus newspaper in America. If the combined circulation of my papers is 250K, let me compete in that category.

Draft saved Draft deleted