1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE just posted a weird statement on the site mixed in with contest results

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Feb 21, 2012.

1. spankys

spankys Member

Anyone know what this is about? Seems random, placed among section winners for the contest...

--APSE has released the following statement from Michael A. Anastasi, President of the Associated Press Sports Editors:

"As professional journalists, we are mindful of the power of the press. Any misuse of that privilege, intentional or not, is simply unacceptable.

APSE strives for fairness, sensitivity and the highest standards of sports journalism. We expect our members to adhere to these standards in every form of our business, whether it be print, digital or broadcast."

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Very bizarre. Still there on left rail, no context, no nothing. Just this short statement.

3. Balthier

Balthier Member

That's horseshit, Mike.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I just don't know what it is, unless you do.

5. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

I just Googled "APSE," and the search showed the APSE site (third listing from the top) and also this warning in blue: "This site may be compromised."

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Whatever it's in reference to, I agree that it's completely unacceptable. Proud that APSE will stand up to tough issues, whatever they might actually be.

7. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Yes. I'm totally against it, too.
    And I can't wait to find out what it is.

8. The Basement

The Basement Member

This is more fascinating than the actual award results - according to Google - that blue link saying "this site may be compromised" means:
    To protect the safety of our users, we show this warning message for search results that we believe may have been hacked or otherwise compromised. If a site has been hacked, it typically means that a third party has taken control of the site without the owner’s permission. Hackers may change the content of a page, add new links on a page, or add new pages to the site. The intent can include phishing (tricking users into sharing personal and credit card information) or spamming (violating search engine quality guidelines to rank pages more highly than they should rank).

here's that link: http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ei=bjtET6-VE9Ot0AHw3_jNBg&answer=190597&?sa=X&ved=0CEYQpwgwAg

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Something to do with the recent gaffes by Espn?

10. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

It's scary when Google whips out the blue font. :eek:

11. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The Google note was up there last night when I went there to find the site.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I for one think strongly worded statements are the way to go. I don't want to live in a world when statements and resolutions are worthless.

Draft saved Draft deleted