1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE judging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Anyone who wins an APSE should demand a raise.

"Give me Calhoun money!"

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Someone asked me if I would be interested in judging this year. Couldn't go — way too much stuff to cover here.

After reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't go. Otherwise, I would be known as a chimp with a dartboard, or something even worse.

3. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

When I judged a couple years back my my paper didn't win, I didn't get a bj, a reach around, or any other sexual favor... come to think of it, I don't even remember getting doughnuts.

Was it what I was wearing?

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Yes. For the last time, you can't wear a tube top with a bra.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

It's a good experience, despite the words of others to the contrary. And it's very little like people here are describing, even someone I respect as much as F_B.

There's no way subjective judging of newspaper contents or written stories is every going to please everybody. And there are certainly mistakes made. But it is NOT utterly lacking in value, and most of the time, those deserving get cited.

Again, at least in my experience.

6. JBHawkEye

I think it would be a great experience. It always falls at a bad time for me, though, which is why I never go.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's why you'd miss it, obviously. All the negative comments about the process on here, not so much of a reason to.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We've got somebody there for the first time. I'm glad he went.

I offered this mainly so that I have "bookmarked" this thread for early result leaks. :)

9. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I know I've mentioned this before, but if you're a member at a paper with a circ under 40,000 and haven't been before, APSE will pick up the tab for the first time you go. Why not get a free trip -- plane ticket, food, shuttle to the hotel, hotel -- and see for yourself. At worst, you find you don't like it and think it's a waste of time. At best, you see some great ideas that you can incorporate at your place and you get to chat wtih some folks who deal with the same things you do every day.

I went last year and loved it. Couldn't make it this year because of cost/tons of work, but I'd go again in a second. It's a lot of work, but it's enjoyable. Nothing like some are describing it. But don't take my word for it, go do it on the APSE's dime once and see for yourself.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

That's what I did -- going on APSE's dime -- and got a TON out of it. No favors, alas, though Messr. Hoppes' hair is quite ravishing in person when he is doing mass O-Sentinel "interviews" of all the newbies.

Sorry I am not there this year to leak all the results out. ;)

rb

11. Did they find the Ouija board yet?

12. JBHawkEye

*sigh*

Draft saved Draft deleted