1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE judging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tenacious_g, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Superb use of sarcasm, sir. But you forgot the blue font.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Just remember when you get to my section's stuff that I promise the second 2K will be in your bank account the day we win some stuff.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Judged twice and enjoyed it -- a lot.
    I lucked out and got special sections twice, so I didn't have to look at 4 dailys or Sundays, then again, some of those football previews were massive.
    I paid my own way last year because I loved it so much.
    You meet some great people, and not just the ones at the big papers.
    One of my gripes, brought up by fishwrapper, is that the under 40 category is very tough, there is a huge resource difference between a near 40 and an under 10.
    I've always felt instead of by circ, judging should be done by staff size or change the circ levels to 20,000 and under, 21,000-50,000, 50,000-100,000, 100,000-250,000 and 250 and up.
    I love to know how many 20,000 and under sections have placed in the top 10 (daily or Sunday) oe even HM over the last 15-20 years?
    And my section (under 15,000) did get an HM a few years back so this isn't sour grapes.

4. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

I, too, would like to see a few more circulation categories so that we're judging apples vs. apples, but as someone who has judged twice and plan to do it again this year I know how much more work that would be.
    To echo some other comments, judging is a great experience. I've met a lot of people in this business during judging and "borrowed" quite a few ideas from the papers I've judged. I'm paying part of my own way this year because of the value I place on the experience.
    It's not a vacation by any means, but it's a good time and a great learning experience.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If you judge writing...and you read three bad paragraphs...on the lead...see ya..

I'm just saying, saves you a lot of time...

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If you think judging is tough, try catching. Now, that's fun.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

When is judging, anyway?

8. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Feb. 24-28

Draft saved Draft deleted