1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE judging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tenacious_g, Feb 10, 2007.

1. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Anyone here judge the APSE contest before?

I'm really looking forward to it here in a couple weeks, but I am not naive enough to think it might not be the most exciting thing I'll do in this lifetime.

For those of you who have done it, when can I expect my eyes to begin glossing over? Day 2 or 3? Or more like Hour 2 or 3? Any APSE judging stories or suggestions out there that might be at all interesting?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

drink lots of coffee. order a pizza. have fun and be extra tough on the bigger papers.

3. Vote for the Podunk Times, or I'll break your legs. ;)

4. I think they should invite seven basketball coaches in to see how the process works.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I have judged. My eyes gloss over en route to the judging sessions.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I have never had a more rewarding "work" experience.

I have only done it once, but hope I will be able to do it many times before I move on (sounds like my take on sex when I was 16, yikes.).

It allowed me to meet some great people who, accomplishment-wise, were way above me in the food chain. I like to feel that some of what they had rubbed off on me.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Wow. It's an honor to have you judging.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

vote for yourself

9. beardown

beardown Member

Don't go in thinking it's a vacation, like the convention. Judging can be very long, but you'll get more out of it than any workshop.

If you're judging sections, take extra notes. You'll implement some when you get back.

There will be times when you want to say phuk this, let's just get it over. Just remember your project or section is a couple of rooms over, and you wouldn't want anyone to do the same with yours.

But the networking is great because your opinions and thoughts go out to sports editors in your work group. Who knows, might get you a better job someday.

Good luck and drink up when it's over.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Yes. Excellent opportunity to see how the big boys do it. I got a little glassy-eyed at times, but it was really neat. I stole a TON of ideas. Also got to drink with some of the heavyweights in our business on the APSE's dime.

HIGHLY recommend.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I was being facetious. But...
    Let's see how you do after looking at 190 daily and 190 Sunday sections in the under-40k category. This contest is hardly fair in most aspects. A section of a 5k daily and a 40k daily are night and day. It all has to do with resources. Same in the larger categories. A paper with 250k doesn't have the same resources as the one with 800k +.
    Where all things are equal?: The writing categories. A great story is a great story.

12. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

After reading the Orlando thread, I'm starting to wonder if I should be ashamed of myself for even taking part in the APSE judging. I never realized APSE was the single worst thing that ever happened to sports journalism.

I'm a pitiful, sorry excuse for a sports editor.

I'm sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted