1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Judging Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It seemed like my life revolved around those awards for a decade. If I won, it was great, if I didn't, it motivated me to come up with something bigger and better so I would win the next year.

My issue with the awards is not the pat on the back. No matter who you are, the recognition is nice.

My issue is that when huge papers are skipping the Final Four and the Super Bowl and just about every paper in the country is having its staff hacked to bare bones, there are more important things than the APSE contests and convention. Papers spend tons of money on what is essentially an extended vacation for most sports editors. Yes, they work hard... and they play even harder... on the company dime... Trust me, I know... I did it.

Based on what some of the papers spend on these things, you could save someone's job by cutting the money spent on APSE.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Not to nitpick, but not all of us attend on the company dime. Some of us go to actually learn some shit and get some feedback. And I recall two years ago when Gannett said it wasn't sending its editors to the convention and several showed up on their own dime as well.
    For the most part, I would easily agree that the convention is worthless, but like most things, it is what you make of it.

3. apseloser

apseloser Member

Loser seconds Mizzougrad's emotion.

One convention, Loser went out with a group of judges. Loser was at a mid-sized paper at the time and it was some fancy schmancy steakhouse in Orlando. Entrees started at $30. "No way I can expense this," Loser thought to himself.

Check comes at the end of the meal. It's $400 (for 6 people). The sports editor of the biggest-circ paper in the group said, "I got this. Shit, my writers expense stuff like this all the time."

This was 2005.

Loser wonders how many SEs are still dropping a grand or more on this complete waste of time (judging could be done by mail just as easily). Some of those same SEs are the ones not sending their writers on the road for big events.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. That SE must not have worked for the chain I did.
    I never once put in an expense for a meal that big and I spent a shitload of time on the road. Never put one in as an SE either, nor did any of my writers. I would have loved to hear an explanation for that had something come across my desk.

I suppose some newspapers even a few years ago could have been so reckless with their money. Can't imagine that now.

Biggest meal I ever expensed was 90 bucks and that was with company permission when a bunch of us were on a 10-day roader that kept us away from home on 12/31/1999.

I wasn't an SE long but I never went to judging or the convention. Not knocking those who do. It just didn't interest me at a time when I was trying to figure out what I could cover with the money I was alloted. Had I been an SE 10 years earlier, I'm sure I would have felt differently.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The individual awards are still meaningful (but no, they are no job guarantee).

The section awards hit me this way -- I don't feel anything if we win. But I don't want to lose, either.

6. Mizzougrad96

One year, I went once to pick up an award and wound up judging. The $400 meals happened nightly. We were at a different steakhouse every night and I don't think I ever saw a bill. The stripclubs were also filled with editors and there were also quite a few people there who were supposed to be doing things, who were at the bar getting trashed.

I was at one dinner where the tab was $3500 for 20 of us. A relatively well-known SE picked up the tab. His comment was "It's not my money."

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

LA Times?

8. Mizzougrad96

You got the chain right.

9. spankys

spankys Member

few more section results....100-250 daily and 40-100 special

40,000-100,000
    SPECIAL SECTIONS

Top 10
    Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle
    The Canton (Ohio) Repository
    Daytona Beach (Fla.) News Journal
    Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News
    Honolulu Star-Bulletin
    Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star
    North County Times (Escondido, Calif.)
    Provo (Utah) Daily Herald
    Santa Rosa (Calif.) Press Democrat
    The State (Columbia, S.C.)

Honorable Mention
    Colorado Springs (Colo.) Gazette
    Fort Wayne (Ind.) Journal Gazette
    Fredericksburg (Va.) Free Lance-Star
    Idaho Statesman
    Post-Tribune of Northwest Indiana
    Mobile (Ala.) Press Register
    Newport News (Va.) Daily Press
    Palm Springs (Calif.) Desert Sun
    Roanoke (Va.) Times
    Worcester (Mass.) Telegram & Gazette

100,000-250,000
    DAILY SECTIONS

Top 10
    Columbus Dispatch
    Des Moines Register
    Detroit News
    Indianapolis Star
    Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
    New Orleans Times-Picayune
    Omaha World Herald
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Seattle Times
    Washington Times

Honorable Mention
    Charlotte Observer
    Lexington Herald-Leader
    The Oklahoman
    Palm Beach Post
    Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    The Record (Woodland Park, N.J.)
    St. Paul Pioneer Press
    Salt Lake Tribune
    Tampa Tribune
    Tulsa World

10. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Wow, no Triple Crown for The Palm Beach Post this year. Does that break the string?

11. apseloser

apseloser Member

What I really miss about this year's voting is the must-see judges photo gallery on the APSE site.

Of course, I guess I could just hit up the local Weight Watchers meeting if I yearn for those visuals.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

loser, we get it. Enough with weight cracks. It makes you look like a petty asshole and detracts from some otherwise valid points you might make.

Draft saved Draft deleted