1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Judging Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

That makes for an interesting point... how long will there actually be more than 10 or so papers with 250k circulation.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ditto!!!

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

WFFW. Other than the whole winning and judging thing . . .

APSE awards are not the shield against buyouts and layoffs that we would like them to be. So really, what is the point? To receive a nice pat on the back, make you falsely confident in your job security so you stay until the next round of buyouts/layoffs?

4. If Pulitzer Prize winners can get laid off or have their papers close, no one is safe. Good luck to all nonetheless.

5. apseloser

apseloser Member

I see a lot of sections these days (everything but the West) and, I'm telling you, there isn't much difference between the 250Ks and the 50Ks.

In fact, I know of 2 under-50Ks that would win any competition against 2 particular over-250Ks. The little guys just do more staff stuff with those 6-8 pages both have than the bigs, many of whom still cram a lot of wire roundups and NHL agate in there.

I think the day is coming (if we're not already there) when there ought to be 2 categories:

-- the incredibly hard-working and much-admired 1- and 2-man sports departments
    -- everyone else

It'd be fascinating (and humiliating, for some) to see a list of the 20 best sports sections (top 10 and 10 HM), regardless of circulation.

Unless the panel was completely biased, I suspect fewer than half of them would be in the 250K range.

I judged for 3 years and never ran into a hint of bias in my 4-man subcommittees. I did run, however, into a lot of chubby men who talked big games, took all the credit for their staffs' hard work and treated the under-100K sports editors like lepers.

Thankfully, a lot of those guys have shuffled off to places like ESPN's Page 2, the NCAA's New Media Strategies department, MLB.com and the LA Times as Tribune Co. sports coordinator.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone think they're a shield anymore? I strongly doubt it.

I don't understand the anger against the awards. I guess more of it is directed at the sections rather than the individuals; I know I'd hate to see the individual awards go away and good people not get some acknowledgment for a job that certainly ain't getting any easier.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for not naming names or anything, loser. And who you calling chubby?

8. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Oh, for chrissakes. What do you want us to do? All curl up under our desks in the fetal position, sucking our thumbs and sobbing hysterically? Nobody's "worried" about this shit. We've all got bigger things to worry about. But we should give up trying to write great stories and produce great sections because our business sucks right now? We should stop taking three measly days a year to acknowledge great work and give everyone something, however minor, to aspire to because our business sucks right now? Give me a break.

Contests are silly, yes. Overly subjective, sure. But they cost practically nothing, they're a nice bit of positivity in a job sorely lacking in it, and they're a nice piece of solace in an otherwise shitty business where shitty people like you spout shitty shit about all the bad shit all the shitty time.

I almost lost my job this year. My wife almost did, too. We both took huge paycuts and endured furloughs. Just like everybody else. Will a state contest or an APSE make up for any of that? No. But you know what? I, and a lot of other people, wouldn't mind a token pat on the back at this point, even if it's all we can get.

Some of us still love this business, dying or not. I hope you got out a long time ago.

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

To bring it back to the awards themselves, congrats to . . .

40,000-100,000
    SPECIAL SECTIONS

Top 10
    Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle
    The Canton (Ohio) Repository
    Daytona Beach (Fla.) News Journal
    Harrisburg (Pa.) Patriot-News
    Honolulu Star-Bulletin
    Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star
    North County Times (Escondido, Calif.)
    Provo (Utah) Daily Herald
    Santa Rosa (Calif.) Press Democrat
    The State (Columbia, S.C.)

Honorable Mention
    Colorado Springs (Colo.) Gazette
    Fort Wayne (Ind.) Journal Gazette
    Fredericksburg (Va.) Free Lance-Star
    Idaho Statesman
    Post-Tribune of Northwest Indiana
    Mobile (Ala.) Press Register
    Newport News (Va.) Daily Press
    Palm Springs (Calif.) Desert Sun
    Roanoke (Va.) Times
    Worcester (Mass.) Telegram & Gazette

10. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

And more congrats to . . . .

100,000-250,000
    SPECIAL SECTIONS

Top 10
    Buffalo News
    Des Moines Register
    Florida Times-Union
    Louisville Courier-Journal
    New Orleans Times-Picayune
    Omaha World-Herald
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Salt Lake Tribune
    Seattle Times
    Tampa Tribune

Honorable Mention
    Birmingham News
    Columbus Dispatch
    Indianapolis Star-Ledger
    Lexington Herald-Leader
    The Oklahoman
    Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    Palm Beach Post
    Syracuse Post-Standard
    Virginian-Pilot
    Washington Times

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Indianapolis Star-Ledger??

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I just assumed Indy and Newark had merged and I had not seem the memo.

Draft saved Draft deleted