1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Judging Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Mar 7, 2010.

1. I read on the APSE site that results should hopefully start rolling in tomorrow. I know our job isn't defined by awards, but in a day and age of layoffs, furloughs and cutbacks of all kind, I still think awards, especially APSEs are a positive in this business.

Anyone feel like they have a shot for something for themselves or their paper? And what work did you do last year that you sent in are you particularly proud of?

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Everyone thinks they have a shot for themselves and their paper. Everything that got sent it had pride behind it. Those who win think, "wow, nice of them to *finally* see my brilliance!" Those who didn't win think, "fuck APSE ... buncha cocksuckers giving each other reacharounds/awards".

I think that about covers it. :)

rb

3. From the APSE site:

OVER 250,000
    SPECIAL SECTIONS

Top 10
    Chicago Tribune
    Dallas Morning News
    Kansas City Star
    Miami Herald
    Newsday
    Orlando Sentinel
    Philadelphia Daily News
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    St. Petersburg Times
    Washington Post

Honorable Mention
    Arizona Republic
    Boston Globe
    Cleveland Plain Dealer
    Houston Chronicle
    Minneapolis Star-Tribune
    New York Daily News
    New York Times
    Philadelphia Inqurier
    San Francisco Chronicle
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

doesn't that just about cover every over 250k paper?

5. spankys

spankys Member

ha! I think there's 23 over 250k...they should give something to the 3 papers that don't win jack to reveal it as the fraud that it is!

every year they vote to include more papers in the highest circ category, and every year the editors from the big papers vote no, and every year they congratulate each other for winning so many awards.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've never been a big awards person because it's all subjective. This year, with so many of my colleagues out of work and with the way papers look in general across the country, I don't think there's any paper that stands heads and shoulders above another. I could care less about who wins.

7. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Well, at least you still care at least a little bit.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

LMAO

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

The APSE site says the committee might consider changing the categories, specifically dropping the top category to 175,000 and above instead of 250,000. Think they also said they want to make Web replace special sections for the Triple Crown categories.

10. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

And just like that every McClatchy owned paper is out of the running.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know why they even bother with this charade anymore. Newspapers are going bankrupt, good journalists are losing their jobs left and right and we're worried about this bullshit?

I've judged APSE, I've won APSE awards and it was a really big deal to me at the time.

These days, it means less than nothing.

12. apseloser

apseloser Member

Not surprising, one of the 250K papers that was shut out is the AJC.

Wait. Does the AJC still have 250,000 readers?

Draft saved Draft deleted