1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE judging thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Marvin, Feb 23, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I've heard people say our design was one of the best in our ownership group.

Still, no APSE sniffs amid the five competitions we enter.

2. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Having judged, I've never heard ANYBODY say "you vote for me, I'll vote for you." And I've never seen a really good paper not win. To finish in the top 20 is terrific. If you never finish in the top 20, and never get a sniff, don't mope. Make your paper better. It's as simple as that.

Quitting the contest is like quitting Little League because you can't hit.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I judged quite a few times. I'd be lying if I said that there weren't some papers that got extra consideration, subconsciously or whatever. Nothing overt, more "benefit of the doubt." It's mostly in the section judging: "If it's the Big Time Press, how can it not be Top 20."

And despite the "anonymity," there are certainly columnists whose style and/or location made it pretty clear who they were, and that probably factored into the thinking of some judges, too.

That said, I think the vast majority of the APSE judges are diligent and do their very best to get it right. There's just human nature involved, nothing you can do about that.

And no, I've never seen or heard of a single instance of any kind of bartering between judges.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I know Frank_R has hit on this point before, and I absolutely agree with it.

Newsrooms have gotten so sterile in recent years, and a big reason is because there is so little interaction between people and between departments.

If editors and/or designers were allowed to work from home -- and the technology is certainly available to do that right now, effective immediately -- it would decrease that interaction even further.

And I don't see how that can be a good thing.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I can only add: ditto.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've been at my place three years and there are writers I still haven't met because they don't come into the office.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

See, that's amazing to me, and it really shouldn't be allowed, I don't think. Have a staff meeting for everybody to meet or something ...

8. printdust

printdust New Member

It would help if someone can direct me to a link of a newspaper that has three full-time staff (one SE, two writers), circulation under 20,000, 22 high schools, five colleges and five counties to work with and has won APSE awards. We could ask them about their approach to coverage, what they focus on and what they give up.

Otherwise, I think SF's commentary just sealed the deal for our staff; given the existing sentiment,that I'll make a printout of it and share it when we convene for the final time to consider dropping the annual APSE fee from our budget.

9. I'd just be interested to know how many papers won whose editors don't usually attend the conferences, especially among the smaller papers.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Ours didn't - and can't - unless it's vacation time. They won't allow time off for such trips.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So we've covered the Triple Crown winners. What about the opposite: which are the biggest papers shut out of all three overall categories?

12. printdust

printdust New Member

The rags that didn't send judges?

Draft saved Draft deleted