1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE Great Plains contest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doggieseatdoggies, Apr 30, 2009.

1. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

This hasn't been posted, which is a bit of a surprise, but seeing as to how only four papers received the awards, my first question would be how many different papers submitted entries, and why was there not any column honorable mentions?

Enterprise
    1. Don Doxsie, Craig DeVrieze, Steve Batterson, Andrew Petersen, Eric Page, Quad-City Times (Davenport, Iowa)
    2. Kary Booher, Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader.
    3. Allen Vaughan, Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader
    4. Brian Christopherson, Lincoln Journal Star

Game Story
    1. Jeffrey Martin, Wichita Eagle
    2. Brian Christopherson, Lincoln Journal Star
    3. Rick Plumlee, Wichita Eagle
    Honorable mention: Justin Williams, Longmont Times-Call; John Bohnenkamp, The Hawk Eye (Burlington, Iowa)

Columns
    1. Steven M. Sipple, Lincoln Journal Star
    2. Bob Lutz, Wichita Eagle
    3. Ken Hambleton, Lincoln Journal Star

Features
    1. Jeffrey Martin, Wichita Eagle
    2. Ken Hambleton, Lincoln Journal Star
    3. John Bohnenkamp, The Hawk Eye (Burlington, Iowa)
    Honorable mention: Pam Mellskog, Longmont Times-Call; Rick Plumlee, Wichita Eagle

Breaking News
    1. Paul Suellentrop, Wichita Eagle
    2. Toby Carrig, Southeast Missourian (Cape Girardeau, Mo.)
    3. John Bohnenkamp, The Hawk Eye (Burlington, Iowa)
    Honorable mention: Lyndal Scranton, Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader; Erin Bolen, Springfield News-Leader

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Looks like seven papers won something. My guess is probably around 10 entered, maybe more.

3. doggieseatdoggies

Actually five....SEMO, Springfield, Lincoln, Wichita and Hawkeye. I didn't count honorable mentions. And I'm assuming Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Kay-Cee, Omaha all didn't enter?
    And if honorables count, where's the column list?

4. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

Contest was for papers under 100,000 circulation, APSE member and non-members. Initially, we hoped to have multiple divisions but unfortunately did not receive a number of entries that seemed sufficient to merit that.
    We did reach double figures, however, and the number of entries recognized was 20 to 33 percent in all categories.
    Hopefully this is a start toward something that can recognize smaller papers. Maybe the focus next year is only those under 15,000.

5. doggieseatdoggies

So is it true there were no honorable mentions in one category, column writing?

Draft saved Draft deleted