1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE forms alliance with Indiana University

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, May 14, 2009.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This list of APSE presidents is an impressive group. Someone did some good editing in neglecting to mention other past presidents.

2. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

Well, Fran, you can point that crack right at the author. I left myself off that list, too, so make of that what you will. I also mention there are many others not mentioned here. No matter who has run the organization, one thing was clear: they had the guts to take the job and do their best. That's better than sitting back and slinging crap. I'll stand with all of those folks against the people who anonymously attack. They had the cahones to stand and deliver. Good or bad, they took the lead. And now, more than ever, we need that in our profession.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That is why there is so much frustration right now.

APSE has had many leaders who have impressive credentials, who helped improve sections and who could be called pioneers of sports journalism.

But as the journalism business itself became more and more uncertain, it seemed as if the organization was content to continue on its merry way, collecting dues and planning contests. APSE hasn't exactly spent the last few years taking the lead as far as figuring out what should come next, both for the business as a whole, and for individual journalists.

Pointing that out and asking "How will you lead the way going forward?" is not an indictment of its past leadership. It's fair and appropriate for sports journalists to look to APSE for some guidance, since, as you point out, the organization has been content to hold the torch in the past.

I know that recently, APSE has endeavored to spark discussion of the issues that affect us all; mainly: how does sports journalism survive? Perhaps partnering with the IUPUI sports journalism department is a further step in this direction. I'd like to think that the new professors there realize that their mandate - as well as APSE's - must include much more than simply honing the writing skills of current and future journalists.

Hopefully, some hard research and study will be done in what could very well become a respected think tank.

4. I certainly was impressed with Bill Dwyre when he bitched for almost two years about The National and then danced on its grave when a whole bunch of people lost their jobs.
    Please.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with this venture, but I would suggest a working alliance with Harvard Business School might be more to the point.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You've referenced that before, I can't dispute it and don't think it was Dwyre's finest hour. But he also did a lot of great things as SE of the Times, and head of APSE, at least in my estimation.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I think there's a very good opportunity right now for APSE to regain its relevance to all of us. I think plenty of us need some guidance and leadership as we attempt to negotiate our way into the new world of information gathering and presentation. I think we all can use help in discerning the best way to adapt to a post-print product society.

APSE could help us defend our footing in the college and professional sports world against the rise of ad-hoc entities whose existence chips away at our credibility and relevance.

I believe we have the people on board right now to make that happen. Like the great names Jerry mentioned earlier I think we have another generation coming up with the right ideas. We just need to communicate and disseminate.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely.

For what it's worth, Indiana does often trumpet the reputation of its business school. As I said, this alliance and this new sports journalism department might potentially lead to a respected think tank. One that seeks to benefit journalists, not just keep the school afloat.

Of course, based on what many students are hearing at many J-schools, I'm not holding my breath for this to be anything but an excuse for seminars with pretty words about "craft" and "finding the story" with no view to "What in the hell do we do next?"

9. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

That's fair criticism, Rasputin. But, APSE for years has has sessions at both regional and the national level that have discussed issues within sports journalism that have looked ahead. I know when I ran the organization, my goal wasn't to collect dues and plan the contest. As a matter of fact, it's the last thing you think about when you are president. You try to grow the organization. You try to find out what members want. You listen and then you get it before the group to see what everyone thinks. I'm sure you all will be stunned to know that a room full of sports editors has a few different ideas. Getting agreement isn't as easy as you think.

That said, I think a lot of editors saw this trouble we are in coming years ago. But in reality, everyone has to deal with that in their own shop. Because papers were purchased by individuals or corporations that way overpaid and as a result they are crushing those papers now is not the fault of APSE. Part of what we try to do is educate and allow for a free flow of ideas. We write stories on the Web site about every session at the convention because we know not everyone can get there. We encourage less expensive, hands-on sessions at regionals. We do more handouts (and make those available to whoever wants them) at sessions than every before. This year, we are looking at filming sessions and posting them to be streamed (speaking of the IU arrangement, we've been working with the Knight Center for Sports Journalism at Penn State and its director, Malcolm Moran, on the latter).

Bottom line, when you're done with your year as president of APSE, you know you could have done more and wish you had. But even if it doesn't all get done, you can keep working at it. And we all need to do better, APSE included, and we hope we can get together in Pittsburgh and come away with ideas to help all of our members.

Draft saved Draft deleted