1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE convention

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jun 23, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The awards aren't bullshit. I mean, they are in a way, but you can't just get rid of them because the biz is slumping. (I guess you can get rid of them if no papers exist in 10 years.) Recognition is important, and scrapping them would be a terrible message and a loss of an industry benchmark (however flawed) of good work.

The conventions, I can see both sides of the argument. I guess I'd raise my eyebrows for the paper picking up the tab for a convention in Vegas or Florida or someplace people really want to go. If it's in Akron (and no disrespect to the fine people of the Rubber City), I'm probably guessing my SE will be hunkered down pretty good during the day. And of course he is entitled to drink himself silly at night.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I expect royalties when it's used in the future. ;D

That said, the convention has really helped me with some stuff. Almost as much as this message board has.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The convention is good at first ... if you don't have to go too far.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The awards have been huge for me. The times I won were followed by promotions, raises and job changes. But places put way too much emphasis on them. There are places where if you win at APSE you're a success and if you don't you're a failure. That's not right.

I had a boss who was fired after the paper wasn't in the Top 10 two years in a row.

You can get good ideas there. There is no question about that. You can also get good ideas from surfing the net and looking at the product that other papers are putting out.

It's a great place to network.

All that said, if your paper is cutting staff or dramatically reducing travel for beat writers etc... This is not a trip you should be making.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I read where NASCAR CEO Brian France is the keynote speaker...OK, that might make it worth the trip for me. Wonder if he'll have a give and take with the editors.

France: "Can we get more coverage?"
    Editors: "Can we get something resembling access?"

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The luncheon with France should be pretty interesting.

According to The Bulletin, the daily newspaper at the convention, as of June 5 95 sports editors had signed up for this year's convention. Last year in St. Louis, there was 152. I don't know if last year's number included the newspapers who were able to attend as Mid-America Press Institute members (that sports writing convention, by the way, is this weekend in St. Louis, and I'll be curious to see the numbers).

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I still think 95 is too high a number considering the weeks some papers have had. And I know of a couple of SEs that said they wouldn't attend because of the layoffs/buyouts (good for them).
    others said fuck it.

Draft saved Draft deleted