1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE convention

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jun 23, 2008.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Am sure I'm overreacting, but hell, I'm wondering if there's going to be a next year for many of us in this business.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mid-sized to smaller papers will be OK (I hope). After all, aren't most of the cuts we're seeing happening in the big metros?

3. Inky_Wretch

I'm sure they are. But smaller papers have an edge since there aren't too many Web sites hoeing the same row ... yet.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Inky, my resume is in the mail.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Schenectady laid off people recently, too.

6. 30

30 Member

I gotta say, My SE stays home all year. This is his only trip. Good for him. Mizzou, you say they drink at then end of the day. I've never covered ANYTHHING where I haven't drank at the end of the day. Why shouldn't SE's do that? They really bust their asses, and take a lot of bullets for us, IMO. Maybe Mizzou's SE sucks, but mine doesn't.

7. Tenhut

Tenhut New Member

Congratulations to 30 for having one of the, what, 27 who don't absolutely suck. The thread that would define sucking could shut this baby down.

And a lot of people are thinking the same thing as Guess Who about next year.

8. I have to say, my SE doesn't suck either. And he's fighting for me and all the sports writers on our staff. I wish he was at APSE, because he deserves to go. And I'm sure many of the folks there are damn good, like my boss. I'm sure there are some who aren't but them drinking is no different than all us writers drinking. I've been at 2 APSEs, and those foks work. Good for them.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm still trying to figure what is more useless to our struggling industry .. APSE Convention or APSE Awards?

Or are they equal bullshit?

10. SavebyKeans

SavebyKeans New Member

The convention definitely has its benefits (networking, seeing old friends, poker, etc.).

I can't invest serious time in the contest anymore. My paper isn't in the "cool" crowd.

11. Inky_Wretch

I've gotten quite a bit out of the conventions I've attended. Good ideas, ways to improve my writers and, more importantly, ways for me to be a better SE.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

nice boilerplate

Draft saved Draft deleted