1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE convention

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MMatt60, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nobody should pay their own way.

I applaud those who would consider it, but don't love your newspaper because it won't love you back.

If your paper won't pay, don't go.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Watch it with the Parma cracks, pal.

3. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

I'll second (or third) the notion of APSE changing its philosophy and focusing on having 3-4 "Super Regionals" each summer across the U.S., rather than one national convention that 75 percent of newspapers have no shot of traveling to.

Times have changed.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah, but having super regionals means some of the regional chairs will actually have to start doing shit.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I paid my own way once. Not for my paper but for me, to make me better which could help me get a better gig.

6. Mizzougrad96

It's also a great place to network, so I guess from that standpoint it could be worth it...

I just hate seeing writers and editors spending their own money to save the paper money. Given the state of the industry, it sickens me because I know the paper would never return the favor.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

If you get a new job out of attending the convention, more power to ya.
    Especially if your paper doesn't pay to send ya there.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's MUCH closer to a vacation than work.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You wonder why the newsroom execs don't feel they have to come with the raises, or why the bean counters above them don't really respect the newsies as working professionals with valid opinions about the operation? It's because of stuff like this, paying out of pocket for legitimate business expenses. They look at us as knuckleheads who will work for next to nothing -- the whole "calling" thing is lost on them anyway, they've never been wired for that, so they simply see it as being naive and bad business people. These are the same suits who will scream bloody murder and immediately phone up a headhunter if the newspaper company tries to limit the mileage on their company car or withhold a four-figure bonus from their six-figure compensation.

If everyone played the game the way the grunts in newsrooms played it, that would be one thing. As it is, we only hurt ourselves when we volunteer time, expenses, effort and emotion, above and beyond what we're getting paid for. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Again, if you had cuts at your shop in the last couple of months, you shouldn't dare showing up for this thing, IMO.

11. Mizzougrad96

It makes them think they're doing us a favor by letting us work.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That would cut attendance to near zero for at least the next four years.

Draft saved Draft deleted